Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two of my rats who passed have had saliva around their mouths. My rat who passed away last night had a saliva saturated chin and neck which I nuzzled my nose in so I could smell him as I knew he would be leaving me soon. He was clearly loosing condition due to his lack of grooming, hind leg weakness, a faster respiratory rate (no laboured breathing), porphyrin stained eyes, and no interest in lady rats. He was 25 months old.

Why do rats salivate/drool?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
So sorry for your loss.. I've heard of rats passing is not very pleasant to watch usually and I've heard of the drooling which is uncontrollable.. I'm not sure why. There is also usually waste excretion that happens too. I image it's for similar reasons?

Poor little guy... I hope someone can give you more insight.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
In my own experience rats usually drool when they are overheating and going squishy, it's similar to when dogs drool. Was the temperature in the room over 82 degrees F? I suppose it might have been brought on by a fever or as some function of dying too. We've had rats pass away and their mouths were wet but we usually offer them water or jello or something liquid when they can't eat solid food anymore which might cause their mouth to be wet too.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts