Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girls have a lovely cage set up, with a nice bed and lots of comfy fleece. They also have a few boxes with fleece, and one small box that has nothing in it-- I use it to hide treats.
So why, oh why, do they insist on sleeping in the little box? It's tiny! About 3 inches by 6 inches by 2 inches. They both wedge themselves in there on the bare cardboard and snooze away.
Of all the places to sleep, why do they pick the one that seems absurdly uncomfortable?
Such strange little creatures...

·
Registered
953 Posts
Mine all seem to have different normal favorites. Buttercup prefers an open top wicker
basket, with nothing in it. If I put a blanket or something in it, it's tossed out. Occasionally she likes to sleep in the litter box. Monkey almost always prefers the plastic tubes. She however will take fleece scraps and pull them into the tubes. Goose will sleep on top of a hammock, plastic floor is nice, I also have those 20 oz hanging crocks cus she likes to squeeze into that and sleep. The babies are starting to get preferences-they are all over the cage, but most like the hammocks best. Especially the cube style ones-the sleep both inside and on top. They like the envelope style ones too. and then the most timid one likes to sleep squished between the litter pan and the bars...and that is really uncomfortable looking. I'm always trying to pick him up and put him somewhere else.

Everyone changes it up sometimes and sleeps at their buddies place with them.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems that Lee would much prefer to sleep in the comfy bed with nice fleece but she doesn't want to sleep alone, so after waiting for a while she eventually goes and squeezes into the box next to Grizz. They are such weirdos.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Lol, I have one that does this too. He sleeps in the litter box. Even though I clean and disinfect the box every other day it still makes him smell terrible. I have to wipe him off daily. I just chalk it up to him being quirky and unique.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine just hide all of their fruit in the litter box. :/ seems unhygienic to me, but what do I know?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Mine just hide all of their fruit in the litter box. :/ seems unhygienic to me, but what do I know?[/Q]

I have one who seems to put their favorite food items in the litter box. I would like to know the reason for this myself...but ya us humans know nothing.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Ours all prefer to be as high as possible, and piled up. Occationally one or two go off on their own but all three cages usually have a pile at the highest point in the cage. Usually with a few fleece scraps they have shreded to their liking. Xp they also drag bedding from the litter box to their "nest".

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have one who seems to put their favorite food items in the litter box. I would like to know the reason for this myself...but ya us humans know nothing.
Haha, mine are the same! I've seen rat nuggets, banana chips and salad all piled up in there. Their litter trays seem to have the double function of a toilet and dining room in my cage.

As for sleeping, nothing seems to beat a sputnick with my guys and girls, sure hammocks are nice for relaxing in but sleepwise it's always the sputnicks! :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Mine have been storing food items in their litter boxes too! Maybe because it's a place they think they can bury and hide it? Also, they have hammocks and a couple of nest boxes, and where do they sleep? They pull up their cage liners and sleep between the layers, or sometimes sleep directly on the wire, which doesn't look comfortable at all.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I put blankets upon blankets in the igloo where the girls sleep to make it comfy and warm and they pee on all of them and throw them in their bedding and just huddle up together in the igloo!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts