Rat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so heres a step by step guide on my cage cleaning process, it takes like an hour and a half, and i find that long

before:

remove everything and throw out favourite CHEWED tube hammock

scrub everthing, base, tray, shelves, toys

put in bedding

put back some of the stash, litter box, house

put bacck top part

put back everything so it's different

this was forensic's idea

this was the b-day present which is now destroyed, i sewed through my finger making that!!!

add rats!!

OH NOES!!!! MY HOWSE IZ CLEENZ!!!!!!

why does it take so long?!?!?!?

·
Registered
482 Posts
When I do a deep clean it takes me LOOONNNNNGGG too. Probably longer than 1.5 hours. More like 2! I have to do all of that, wash the towels and fleece, put new ones down, I wash all the toys and plastic bits.. bathe the ratties sometimes...

Hm... then there's putting everything BACK!

·
Registered
527 Posts
haha, i know how you feel.

my cage cleaning time is about an hour, and it's really hard getting my brothers to watch my ratlings while i clean the cage (i do this because i don't want them to be in a spare cage somewhere without any human interaction!),but it does bring me a certain amount of satisfaction when i see my ratlings in their new clean home!

..now that i mention it, today's cage cleaning day. great. :roll:

·
Registered
941 Posts
I clean the cage every night during free roam time.
(average time - 5 minutes)

Then I Scrub and clean spotless EVERYTHING once a week.
(average time - 30 minutes - not including washer/dryer time)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Cage cleaning my Martin's Rat Skyscraper used to take an hour or two for me. I'd clean the bottom pan in the shower then lug the whole cage into the shower and clean and scrub that then clean all the toys. Everything was cleaned in the shower in hot soapy water. When I had the Rat Retreat after I lost the Skyscraper in a house fire it cut down time a little since it was smaller but not by much. Martin's cages sure are a pain to clean! But they are very nice cages too :p

By the way, the bedding you're putting into the cage in the pictures... it's aspen right? Sometimes it's hard to tell and I'd rather be safe than sorry :3

·
Registered
347 Posts
It is really satisfying seeing my little guys in their clean home. Except sometimes, after I put in so much effort just to clean their cage, they go back in ... and mess all up again! Oh well, rats will be rats :)

My boys home always takes about two hours to clean, but in the end, it's all worth seeing happy, healthy rats.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I take about 2 minutes to spot clean my cage daily, and it takes me about 15 minutes to clean my cage and 10 minutes to redecorate. Or when I deep clean with soap and water it takes me about 30 minutes. I'm going to guess that it will take a lot more work once I add two more ratties though.

Edit: With my old cage it took me at least 1 hour, but most of the time it was closer to 2 hours when I finally got everything put back together. Even then it never seemed clean. :?

·
Registered
483 Posts
When my girls and one male is out at night I take their food dishes out spray with water the flooring and wipe it dry- boy do they make a mess some nights espically when I give them yogurt.

Then either Saturday or Sunday I either do a quick clean like change the rabbit pellets, change hammocks wash floors and dishes and baskets and anything else that is in their cage.

Then every other week I lug both cages into the bathtub and scrub them real good--- and of course make sure all the soap is off. Then every other week I do a load of rat laundry when I gather enough to make a load.

Takes about an hr either way I am doing them taking them apart and then putting them back together. I love Martins cages.

Thier playepen I try to do a couple of times during the week but most likely its on the weekends that I do a good cleaning and do all their toys.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts