Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a really young female rat who was bought originally for snake food and survived. Honestly, she escaped a couple strikes and a wrap from the python and is now in good spirits. This was about 10 days ago and now has a nice big cage and rat mates.

We (my son and I) have been bitten by her twice, hard enough to draw blood. The first time was about 4 days ago when I had a chicken bone in my hand. She just nibbled my finger and then a second later bit down hard and quick, enough to draw blood. I figured it was because my hand smelled like chicken bone.

I sought advice here and have been feeding yogurt/non-solids with a spoon to teach them to lick.

Today we went to get Lucky two cagemates from a rescue. The handler there was able to handle Lucky with no problem (Lucky was trying to get away but rescue own still handled her great). I cleaned out the cage, just put all three back, and my son (8) was trying to interact with them, stuck his finger inside, and Lucky just bit his finger hard enough to bleed.

We think Lucky is about 5 weeks old. Honestly I know from the bite I had earlier this week now I find myself nervous to handle the rats at all. I imagine as soon as I get my hand around them they'll turn and take a chunk out of me. My son is probably about to have the same worry.

But is this aggression? Just exploring and doesn't know how hard she's biting? Still traumatized from the encounter with the snake.

Also, weird question but could she teach this behavior to the new cagemates? 馃槄

Registered
Rats
Hiya, sorry to hear about your encounter with rats biting, it鈥檚 quite normal at this stage, they need time to settle and time to adjust and trust you, they are rodents and all feel scared, being moved and having new sounds and smells, I鈥檝e had mine two weeks and only now have I felt comfortable to let one of mine smell my hand, the other one is ok, if they feel cornered they may bite but once they get used to you by the treats being left they will associate you with nice things and not harm. It鈥檚 took me two weeks to get them out of the cage. I hope things calm down for you good luck 馃

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My son (who is braver than me, apparently) got bit again today. We stopped putting fingers in the bar per some advice we received so he was putting his whole hand in and Lucky (same rat) 'grabbed my finger and then bit.' Didn't break skin this time but left a mark.

I do wonder how much of this is from surviving the snake pit. Lucky had been wrapped up by the snake but escaped. But at the same time she doesn't seem particularly scared of us. Had her out the cage yesterday (bite was this morning) and she was the most explorative of her cagemates.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts