Rat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got some tiny cat food feeders a while back that have the bowl attached to a barrel type top so that the food comes out of the spout as food is taken from the bowl. They've been working beautifully until just recently. One of my girls has been pulling all of the food out and I didn't know who the culprit was or why they were doing it until this morning....
Animal shelter Rat Cage Hamster Muroidea

This is Nimh....inside of the freakin food dispenser -_- I watched her do it this morning and she acts like there's nothing to it, just squeezes inside and then proceeds to sit there and groom herself inside of the container. Why on earth would she do this? Just because she can?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Stashing food is one of rats' favorite activities, unfortunately :p Annoying, since sometimes it makes it seem like they food is gone/you should give more, when really it's just hidden in the litterbox with fleece scraps covering it! I'd recommend not using that dispenser anymore - in case Nimh (or one of the other ratties) decides to get inside and then not be able to get out. :)

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She's not stashing the food though, it's literally just piled around the bowl where it lands when she throws it out. I didn't have time to find a bowl this morning, but I will switch it out. I'm assuming she's been doing this for a while since the food throwing has been going on for a while. Hopefully an open bowl will be the answer.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Most of the time I don't even use a bowl these days, lol. My rats always stash what they don't eat immediately, so the food bowl would just end up being a decoration anyway.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lol mimsy, maybe she was looking for better food, who knows. But I'm fairly certain she's doing it just because she can and her 'sisters' can't. Maybe that's her space for getting away from them, idk. She's always been a bit of a goof and the fact that she's the size of an 8 week old pup gives her the advantage of getting into some interesting things.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Maybe give her a glass jar to climb into? I'm talking about a nice heavy one that won't easily be tipped over or broken. I have a heavy square jar that was part of a canister set that I let my girls play in and they love getting in there. Because it looks like she's more interested in the dispenser than the food.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was thinking about just leaving the container in there after I switch over to a normal bowl. She's about 5 months old now so probably won't do much more growing and if anything I can just take the bowl attachment off and attach the barrel to the cage in some way. I caught her again this evening after I'd cleaned up all their food and put it back, so I think it's just going to be her little thing lol I have some of the strangest rats :p

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Aren't they though? Lol As mad as I've been about all the food being thrown everywhere, I just couldn't be mad after seeing her in there. They're such cute little monsters sometimes :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.