Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my cousins found a baby mouse at the construction site where he works. He left it where he had uncovered it, thinking that the mother would return for it. At the end of the day the baby was still there. He was concerned about it, so he put it in his hat and took it home. Right now, he is trying to find a home for it.

I am considering taking it in, but I know very little about mice. I have owned rats since I was little, but never a mouse. It is between 10-13 days old (has fur but its eyes aren't open), so I don't even know what I would feed it.

Does anyone have any advice? Ideas? Suggestions?

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Kitten milk is a good choice. Feed it through a dropper if you can get one. You may also need to hand 'pee' it, as (well in rats anyway) they can't go potty themselves. You'll need to rub damp (and warm) cotton buds against them 'there' until they go.

Keep it warm, feed it regularily. If it's that old, it may eat voluntarily. It's going to be hungry, feed it as soon as you can, but potty it right away

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
It'll be a lot of work, but how tiny and cute it must be!

A friend of mine once had a wild mouse as a pet, it was sort of a boring pet because we never saw it. Since you got this one so young, it might be different, although mice as a rule are much more shy than rats. Just to let you know it has been done. Good luck!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ration1802 said:
You may also need to hand 'pee' it, as (well in rats anyway) they can't go potty themselves.
I know puppies and kittens are the same, so I'd assume that mice are as well.

I haven't actually seen it yet since I'm at college. I go home tomorrow afternoon sometime and will probably get to see it that night or the next day. Thanks for the help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts