Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my friend rescued a 1-week old orphan rat (i'm pretty sure she's a black rat) and couldn't keep her, so i've ended up raising her :) she's 5 weeks old now, suuuper tame and cuddly, and we're getting her a friend asap. the only thing is, im worried about diseases since she was born wild. i've asked a local rat rescue, they said that rats don't carry many diseases in Australia (F.Y.I., i live in west Australia), and some other sites have said that most diseases dangerous to humans would kill a baby rat. others say things like "rats are ALL very DANGEROUS animals. they have DISEASE that will KILL you and your other pets. blah blah". she seems healthy, no fleas, no discharge, eating fine. so are there serious rat diseases in australia that could indeed kill me or my doggy? do i need to stress out about handling her in case she wees on me/bites me/ect? she loves being cuddled but i don't want to get sick. :(

p.s. she has never bitten me before, but she does wee sometimes!

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
There is Rat Bite Fever in some rats. It can produce flu-like symptoms in a human. But it is rare. And if you have had the ratty now for 5 weeks, then I think you are safe. If you do get bit, or somehow contact the rats spit, then any symptoms developing over the next week or so should be seen by your doctor as antibiotics can take care of RBF.
Show us some pictures too! :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
phew, that's a relief! i will make sure to wash my hands after she's done grooming me :p

Nose Skin Pink Jaw Mouth
these are from the early days with her, about 9-10 days old :)
Hamster Rat Chinchilla Nose Skin
Chinchilla Rodent Rat
these are from a few days ago! just over a month old, they are very blurry because she doesn't sit still for more than 1 second at a time :)

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
i would treat her woth a course of baby safe antibiotics, give her a dose of ivermetcin and some panacur (wormer). This covers anything she could pass to you and most things age could pass to a cage mate.

She is a real cutey

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.