Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I've seen a thread about this somewhere before, but will my rats poop scare off wild rats if I scatter it in my yard? I have females and no males, I don't know if that changes anything. My grandpa's cat brought a rat into their house today, and I'd rather find a way to make the rats living near him relocate rather than them be poisoned :(

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
I suppose rats are territorial... but the scent of pee might work better than poop... I don't know if it will work, but it would make for an interesting experiment that isn't going to cost you much to try.

Best luck, let us know how it works.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Rats are territorial, but they also live in colonies, and from what I know lone bachelor males will leave their birth colony to find unrelated females. So having the scent of female rats might actually draw wild male rats to the garden, and I'd also be doubtful of it affecting wild female rats...
I'd be inclined to think that the scent of predators (cats urine?) would be more effective and deterring wild rats

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
My own experience tend to indicate that girls (perhaps also) leave their colonies to find boys... But that may or may not be relevent... if a group of rats thinks that a certain territory belongs to another pack they may or may not stay away.. on the other hand they may become more interested in finding the invaders. Which makes it an interesting experiment... But yes the scent of a predator might be more effective at getting rats to stay away. Also an interesting experiment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts