Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it might seem like a silly thing for someone who's been reading up so much on rats lately to ask, but I figure it's best to ask this before I get my rats, instead of finding out the hard way and having to give them away because of an angry mum-in-law.

Will a rat chew into a wall?

At my home back in Washington (state) there's a hole from a wild rat in my mom's closet. I don't know why I never thought of it until now, but I just wanted to know if a domestic rat will chew into a wall too.

...At the house I live in now there has never been a rat problem, so there are no holes in these walls.

·
Registered
343 Posts
[align=center]I do not think a domestic rat has the desire to. I used to let my rats play in the bathroom for hours without a problem.[/align]

·
Registered
418 Posts
They will be more inclined to chew on any cords and wires they will find. Though they might take a nibble at a wall (mostly at corners and molding), I doubt they would even chew all the way through, nor should they ever be left unattended long enough to do so.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
If left alone and they had access, they might. Rats can chew through so much. I would say it's probably a safe bet they wouldn't, but I've heard of it happening enough times to know that it DOES happen. However, given that you (I assume!) won't be letting them run wild in the house, it's probably a safe bet that they won't.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
my girls have tried to chew through to china, via the carpet...

·
Registered
194 Posts
i have no carpet left in some spaces in my rat room/dining room. they have ruined the carpet. i don't doubt they'd start on the walls once all the carpet is gone. just keep an eye on them and they shouldn't get the opportunity!!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Yes.

If you let them.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I definitely wont leave them alone long enough to chew all the way through. They'll mostly only be allowed to play in the bathroom where their cage is until I can get my hands on a large play pen that rats can't escape through the bars of, but is also big enough for me to come play with them inside.

There are a ton of wires and cords in the basement, and no way we could staple every single one of them to the walls, so they can't have free-reign of the basement. :(

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, now that I have my answer there's no need to keep things going here. :/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts