Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently became the mum of new 5 week old babies, and while I had Oxbow adult formula already, I thought it was better to buy them the young rat variety of the food, but I'm not quite sure that they like it or if they are actually eating it; I see it nibbled here and there but for the most part they leave it be--and I have some comparison. The rattery that I got them from fed them Harlan Teklad and advised me to mix the baggie of it that she gave me in with my food, and can you guess what they took out of the food bowl almost exclusively? That's right, Harlan Teklad. They love the stuff and I'm beginning to wonder if I should start buying it and see if I can return the Oxbow...however I like Oxbow better because of the lack of corn.

I heard the adult Oxbow formulas were made more palatable and in truth, my past rats loved it. But what I'm feeding them now is the young rat Oxbow, and I wonder if it's not as tasty to them. I haven't tried giving them the adult blocks and supplementing with either the leftover Harlan Teklad or some scrambled eggs as a protein supplement. (They already get a little bit of egg every other day or so.)

Has anyone tried the Oxbow young rat food and did your rats dislike it?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I tried to give my rats the young formula and they refused to eat it. I had already been giving them the adult formula because the store didn't have young rat, but I thought they were younger than six months so when I found it I bought some and they dumped it all in their litter and refused, haha. It kind of stinks, too. Anyways, my baby Feta was on crappy pet store food and I gave her the oxbow young rat first so she eats it just fine. I'm glad because she needs the extra protein I'm sure. I think it depends on whether or not their previous food tasted better.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, it's good to know my rats aren't the only ones! I think you're right about what past food they're comparing it to; if the Harlan tastes especially good to them then it's no wonder they won't eat anything that tastes worse. I'm kind of thinking I should return it then, maybe when they're big enough for it they'll like the adult formula.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Heh my little boys refuse the formula for young rats (they had free choice of both), they won't even stash it. I'm not sure if they know it's food. They love the adult formula though (wonder if its because its so much smaller) so I'm just supplementing with eggs and high protein things

·
Registered
996 Posts
The young rat one isn't as high quality as the adult one. You'd be better off feeding them the adult one and supplementing protein rich foods like egg, chicken, or Greek yogurt.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I feed all of my rats adult oxbow, no matter the age from when my babies first start eating food even.

The younger formula isnt as good IMO and alot of rats seem not to like the taste at all. Instead I just supplement my babies with extra protein.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
The only young rats I've had so far were my 3 dumbo girls. I did give them the young Oxbow and they ate it up like it was candy. My trick for weaning any rat onto Oxbow if they don't like the taste is to crumble it and mix it into baby food. Every time you do it, raise the ratio of crushed food to baby food. Eventually they get used to the taste and just eat the food.

·
Registered
365 Posts
My babies didn't like young oxbow either, but they adjusted to it. They liked adult WAY better. I had a few fretful days wondering if they were ever going to eat the young rat food, but they did rather than go hungry. But given an alternative? They'd ditch it instantly.

One thing I did that helped was to break the huge pellets into smaller chunks. When I weaned them they were a mere three weeks old, poor things. Mostly they were on baby soy formula, but they would occasionally dunk it in the formula to get it soggy and eat it like mush.

For the one pair of girls who wouldn't eat the baby oxbow, I just supplemented the adult with extra protein, either formula or egg.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My rats ate the young rat formula when I first got them. They've since been moved up to the adult formula. They seem to like the adult formula waaaaay more than young rat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts