Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I just adopted a pair of fully grown intact boys, and a pair of baby females. They are kept in a separated double critter nation where they can't reach each other. I was wondering if it's okay to keep it this way even when the females reach sexual maturity? Or will the pheromones drive them all crazy?

I'm thinking about getting the boys neutered so they can all be together but I just haven't decided. I think they are about 1.5 yrs old, but in great health from the looks of it.

Thank you for reading

·
Registered
333 Posts
When we had both boys and girls.. I found that the boys would fight more the closer the cages were to each other. The further we moved the boys cage away from the females, the better they got with each other. I'm not sure if it had to do with the smell of the girls or what. It seemed like the girls couldn't care less if the boys were close by or not lol. I'm sure it will be fine. :)

·
Registered
952 Posts
It should be OK just make sure to have separate play times. And I would think the boys would go a little crazy with the girls so close. I would spay the girls rather than clip the boys. Females can develop cancer easier in later life due to hormones. A mixed colony always gets along better than any other kind it seems.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses! I wonder if having the babies so close by is making the boys antsy. I haven't had them long enough to figure out their personalities, but they just seem so INTENSELY curious lol. They won't always take treats from me, but they will climb out onto my arms? Maybe they just need more time to settle in their new home.

I guess I will leave everyone as is (for now) and just keep an eye out for problems when the girls mature.

·
Registered
365 Posts
My girls stare across at the boys longingly, it is a hoot!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts