Rat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello! i am a new rat owner as of a few days ago! i bought my rat, Templeton, from petsbarn. he was just described as "small rat" and i didnt really know much about rat breeds at the time. they said their large rats were out of stock so i got a small rat. hes about a little smaller than my hand not including his tail. he fits in my zip up jacket pocket with extra room. i was wondering if maybe he was just a baby or if he was going to stay this size?
Leg Comfort Grey Fawn Carnivore

Tin Plant Beverage can Aluminum can Rodent

Brown Outerwear Comfort Textile Sleeve

Vertebrate Felidae Ear Whiskers Small to medium-sized cats

Registered
Aw he is so sweet and bonding with you really well by the look of it.Did they not know his age in the pet store? He looks pretty young ,about 6 weeks maybe,so yes,he will grow bigger.What sort of cage do you have for him?Also consider getting him a companion as as much as rats love their humans,they do need the companionship of their own kind too.Welcome to the forum馃惌

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i didnt ask them how old he was, i probably should have, i have really bad social anxiety so i didnt talk very much which probably didnt help. im not sure of the name but i got him a pretty large cage, one of the cages with three stories and lots of room to play, i also bought him some rat toys. i take him out to run around and play every day for a good amount of time, i read that was good for him. and yes im definitely intending on getting him a friend soon :) and thank you!

Registered
He definitely looks like he's still got his baby fur. Maybe when they labeled him as "small rat" they just meant baby. I know a couple places that do that for price reasons. It would be cool if they had like a pigmy breed or something but I'm not too educated on breeds either. He'll most likely be roughly the size of your forearm when he's full grown.

Registered
There are no rat breeds. No rats are big medium and small (except for dwarf rats which is not what they are selling). Pet stores and sometimes other places often try to sell rats as big, medium, and small which is strange because they are just selling rats of different ages. I guess it could make people want to buy them more but it just seems to confuse people. I think your rat is an adorable normal baby rat who will grow up to be normal size.

Registered
Oliver Bean, Phyllis, Waffle, Taco, Atlas, Cirrus, Orion
The pet stores label them as sm-med-large sizes so when people buy feeders, they know what size their snake needs to have depending on the size of the snake :cry:

Registered
Templeton is absolutely adorable!!! He's gonna grow so fast, be sure to give him fresh veggies and grains along with his Oxbow. I also use the oaty Os, rice squares and Total cereal as a treat. They love to munch

Registered
I have a few females that stayed rather small. Baby nakie is about the size of a 3 month or 4 month old rat and she's maybe 9 months old. She has entropion though with a rough start. Star also is a small doe but I think she's still growing. She is blind in one eye I think because it is blue around the outside and the eye is much smaller. Not sure how I keep getting special rats! Anyway Templeton is very cute! Sounds like you are doing a good job. Make sure when you get Templeton a friend that he is also a boy. 馃榾

Registered
Sten Sigurdsson & Pilgore the Destroyer, Barney, Arthur and Isabella(R.I.P Harald Fairhair)
lol oh yes. He is going to get bigger. Especially if you give them snacks. Within about 3-4 months he will be a full grown monster rat like mines lol. Unless they sold it to you as a dwarf rat, then yes they grow lol. They are very big rats in fact too. Like mines are 700 grams and 575 grams.

Registered
Kizzmae (kizzi), Minute, Grayzi, Remidi (Remi), Kricket, and Kiera
He definitely looks like he's still got his baby fur. Maybe when they labeled him as "small rat" they just meant baby. I know a couple places that do that for price reasons. It would be cool if they had like a pigmy breed or something but I'm not too educated on breeds either. He'll most likely be roughly the size of your forearm when he's full grown.
The size of her forearm, really? I have 4 Does (females) Kizmit, Mercy, Rimidi, and Bali. And they're relatively the same size. However, 1 of them is almost 25% bigger than the other 3 and lI ove her large size and they were all born on the same day, but not to the same parents, got them from a breeder, and can tell you that I got them during the height of Covid and it was the best thing I ever did for my self. You'll find that they will calm your anxiety and make you laugh even when you may be feeling a bit blue馃馃悁馃悂and you really should adopt him a friend asap for twice the laughter, and more emotionally healthy for your little guy馃槉

Registered
Aw he is so sweet and bonding with you really well by the look of it.Did they not know his age in the pet store? He looks pretty young ,about 6 weeks maybe,so yes,he will grow bigger.What sort of cage do you have for him?Also consider getting him a companion as as much as rats love their humans,they do need the companionship of their own kind too.Welcome to the forum馃惌
Oh my goodness what a cutie pie. I've never heard of a small rat breed. Sometimes they label at pet stores large rat, small rat because of price difference. Unfortunately for people who feed them to snakes. I could be wrong. He looks like a baby to me. My new girls were about that size when I got them. Growing like weeds! Lol. My older two girls were 6 months when I adopted them. They are now 4 and have gotten bigger. I love the name, and what an absolute cutie! Enjoy your new baby.

Registered
They can get pretty big. Depends on the rat honestly. I have a girl who is just under 400, and a big boy who is 770 grams!! I don't know why; except he just loves to eat and is lazy. An adult male can get up to a pound.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.