Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a few nights ago, my rat bit my collarbone area, and obviously I reacted poorly and got mad and screamed instead of squealed, and I went to pick him up off my chest, and I accidently squeezed him a bit too tight and now he's obviously afraid of me and won't come near me as calmly as he used to do. And when I hold him and attempt to pet him, I can see his backwhites of his eyes so I know he's afraid. Will he come to me again not scared or is this permanent? On the other hand, my other rat that is SO skittish is actually starting to get used to me, but he's still so scared because I got him when he was normally skittish. I've had my rats for a few months now and they're still not very comfortable with being handled. How much longer will this take until they're 100% comfortable?

·
Registered
94 Posts
First off, do you have any idea why he bit you? Was he grooming you too hard, or was he afraid or aggressive? Figuring out the root cause of the bite is more important. Don't beat yourself up too much about your reaction to being bitten. It hurts and startles you and you don't always react amazingly. If you're still trying to be gentle and calm to him and show him that things are okay, he'll get over it eventually. It sounds like both of your rats need more trust training. I know it's been a few months, but it can take a long time depending on their early life (if you got them from a pet store or a breeder, how old they were, etc). Have you tried sitting with them in a bathtub? That usually helps. Pet them softly, speak quietly and offer treats, or put them in the tub with you so they have to get used to your scent.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
You could also try bribing him with non grab-and-run treats like yogurt or baby food for him to slowly come over and lick off your finger so he has to spend time next to you. Gently talk to him too and don't move at all, or just move very veerrryyy slowly so he's not startled. If you don't know what to say, you could always try to explain to him what happened and that you're sorry and you want him to love you again. Hehe idk, I'm weird and I like to pretend my rats maybe have an idea of what I'm saying ;D I have a couple rats that need frequent medical type procedures at home that are probably uncomfortable and last a little while, and I always talk to them during it and tell them how brave and awesome they are and give them kisses and treats during it. They're usually always pretty calm during it and hold still. It doesn't seem to be too painful so they just let me do what I need to do and I talk to them a little and let them know they're great little babies :p I think just hearing your calm voice no matter what you're saying is helpful to relax them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts