Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we have had rats for about six months now. they are great the only problem is that after so long holding them(like fifteen min or so)they pee on us. what can i do. we love to hold them but it is not fun when they pee all over us.

·
Registered
259 Posts
well if they are males it is just natural, because they are marking their territory type stuff. i have a male and he is exactly the same way just make sure to wash your hands a lot and it shouldnt bother you too much. you kinda get used to it. ;]

·
Registered
14 Posts
When I was searching for information on our new rat I came across something that said if your rat pees on you that you should change your clothes immediately then hold the rat again. Eventually some will learn that no matter how hard they try they can't mark you and will stop trying.
I have no idea how true this is, or if it would work. It is just something I read.

·
Registered
174 Posts
My female rats pee on my too. They're just marking me as theirs is what I've decided. One of my rats, Whimsy, loves getting skritches, and she marks my hands. I guess they are her hands and she is not going to let anyone else get her skritches.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
basically i've heard there is not really any hope, so i just keep a scrap of paper towel nearby to dab up little spots here and there. good luck, you'll probably just have to get used to it.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I taught one of mine not to pee on me by putting her back in the cage IMMEDIATELY after she had an accident. :]

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
in a human's mind it is an "accident"

this isn't what is going through rat's mind... so no matter what you do you aren't correcting behavior issue... peeing on things is a natural tendency.

Rats pee everywhere they go & on everyone they know.

They do this because it is the scent they leave behind that marks their surroundings with familiarity & security of knowing they are in a familiar safe place.

I've actually found that my girls pee far more than my boys. If it truly bothers you to be peed on then get yourself a long sleeve shirt & dedicate it as being your rat shirt. Leave the smell on it & as long as they don't completely empty their bladder on it, spare washing it after every play session. This way the scent is already there & they may not feel the need to piddle.

Also, before you take them out for play.. make sure they are awake & alert before taking them out. This way they have had a chance to relieve themselves prior to being removed from their cage. If you take them out prior to going potty they are just going to do it once they are out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts