Rat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need all the tips i can get my house gets fairly cold during the winter they have fleece and fur buddies and there cages are grotto style so the sides and almost all of the back is solid but the doors and part of the backs are hardware cloth for ventilation how can i keep them warm during freerange and while in there cages i dont have heaters or anything ove never needed to use them so suggestions are appreciated

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
How cold does your house get. Rats do better in the cold than the warm. They manage well at temperatures down to 10 deg C, they can cope with colder if they have a warm nest with friends to curl up in. You may need to up the oil content of there diet slightly if it gets very cold, and possibly the overall amount too but otherwise they will probably cope better than you. You only need to watch the very young, very old and sick a bit more than useual

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it gets 35f to 80f we have funky weather i have a ac to keep kool but the 35f is only three degrees above freezing

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i actually thought about that, or making some but i think they would chew em off might still try though

·
Registered
210 Posts
It gets to 35 f in your house? ...Do your pipes freeze and whatnot? Do you wear ski jackets inside? lol that's a pretty extreme temperature for indoors.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
sometimes the pipes do, i live in a old house with poor insulation you can bet if its 20 outside its at least 35 in the house sometimes colder and me amd my roomates enjoy the cold on those super cold days we walk around with blankets around us or warmer clothes and have tons of extra blankets in bed i also work at night so im not around for the coldest parts of the night

·
Registered
210 Posts
Ah, okay. Well I really like the cold, so in the winter I often leave my windows open. My room can be between 35-60 depending on the night (much to the annoyance of my parents). In those cases I'll give the rats extra fleece and a bunch of toilet paper and tissues to stuff into their homes. If it's extra cold, I cover most or all of their cage with an old blanket. It's almost always unnecessary, living in Texas and all, but I like the peace of mind knowing that they're warm and snuggly. If you'd rather just have a warm room, you could buy a wall mounted heater (envi heaters are pet safe and have an even, cozy heat) and install it next to their cage.

·
Registered
835 Posts
My house gets extremely cold in winter, though since I live in a place where that's absolutely normal and expected we have a few ways of keeping the cold out and keeping our pipes from freezing.

·
Registered
158 Posts
You can make little rat bean bags that can be heated up. You'll just need some strong fabric (Multiple layers if you have strong chewers), and brown rice. Just fill the sacks about 75% full of brown rice, then sew the entrance shut. You can pop them in the microwave for a small heat pack. They also sell them for rabbits, which would be nice if you have a lot of rats. Those hold heat for about 12 hours. So you could buy 2-3, and just always keep one in the cage. As for free range, I would say just make sure any hard surface that could get excessively cold is covered with fleece. Also make sure that the free range area is carpeted or has a fleece bedding base. Another idea that may or may not work would be to heat up some sheets or blankets and put them over the cage so that it is completely covered. That may or may not help. Good luck.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
im lovin the beanbag idea, and im in mississippi so it is hot one day cold another we leave water dripping to keep pipes from freezing but it dosent always work especially in the kitchen

1 - 13 of 13 Posts