Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it really important to have something covering the wire levels? I don't know how to cover them and make them stay put since my rats like to dig and burrow. Let me know because I've heard of broken legs and bumblefoot and I don't want that to happen to my babies. Please give me some ideas. Thanks:)

·
Registered
174 Posts
The main problem with bumblefoot is dirty floors, not wire floors. I think it's most often associated with wire floors because they are hard to clean. As long as the wire spacing is 1/2"x1/2" or less, it should be fine. If you really want to cover it with something, though, you could try finding those stick-on linoleum tiles. A lot of people get them from dollar stores and I'm sure you could buy them from places like Home Depot and Lowe's as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
omg i never thought about that, what a great idea. thank you so much:)

·
Registered
87 Posts
My Home Depot wouldn't cut my plexiglass, so I scored both sides with a utility knife and then snapped it off and then had to sand down the pieces that didn't break off correctly, but in the end it all turned out :)

Your Home Depot might be different though, so don't hesitate to ask them :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have all my wire levels covered with some of those thin plastic place mats. I just cut them to size and punched a hole in the corners, and tied them on with metal twistie ties that I was very careful to fold under, so that the girls wouldn't be tempted to chew them. They've been a great success, and are good on hot days, because they stay quite cool, so the girls can flop on them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have used cardboard cut the size I needed and held down with cableties
when they start chewing on them or if they should get messy I just cut off and replace. Same way with her nesting box and such I have tons of boxes around (from ebay) so I can always cut one down or make a small maze out of one to go in her cage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts