Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ratties will not rat their rat blocks even if thats the only thing they have in their bowls. I have tried a couple different brands and nothing seems to work. I havent tried dog food yet though. Are there any other things I can give them to make sure they get enough protein? I heard baby food but I havent heard anyone say thats good or bad.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Baby food is fine, but probably not as a staple diet.

My rats don't really like lab blocks, but they will eat them if there is nothing else. And sometimes I have to make sure there is nothing else.

There are a couple things you could try. If your rats look to you as the big boss rat, then you could eat a little bit of a lab block yourself and let them smell it on your breath. They may think it's not good for them originally, but will trust it after having you eat it.

My other suggestion would be dog food, as you mentioned before.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
How long are you giving them to eat it? If it's a decent block I'd suggest emptying out the bowl and putting new block in and then leaving it until they eat it (or pee in it, then you replace it).

They will eat it. Eventually. :lol:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Mine aren't overly thrilled about lab blocks but that's what they get (and a mix of holistic dog food). I find that they eat the blocks better when they are broken down into very small peices. The blocks are usually small anyway but I'm talking about breaking those down a lot more. Your average lab block, I find, can be broken down into 3's. I don't know why, but my ratties are much more open to the idea of eating lab blocks if they are broken down into small peices. If I don't break them down, the blocks sit there and the rats pout.

I usually change the blocks daily, mostly because they'll end up peeing on them, and nobody wants pee food. :p

·
Registered
407 Posts
mine didnt care for the blox at all and let me know by hiding them in the bedding, or pooping in the bowl where the blox were. I figure its like when my human kids didnt want to eat their veggies. Its good for them, so I keep encouraging it whether they like it or not lol.

What helped us, is that I started giving them treats after they ate some of the blox- I dont know if that is the best way to do it, but it has worked for us and now they eat more of them than they did. I guess they look at eating the blox as a trick since they get the treats for both....but at least they are eating them now and not hiding them or pooping on them lol

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Lab blocks are food that's been compressed into a block form. It's usually considered one of the best ways to be certain the rats are getting all their vitamins and nutrients. One of the best out there is Harlan Teklad, which is sold only over the internet (Kim's Ark, The Rat Shop, The Crafty Rat, etc). There's also Mazuri, which is sold at PetSmarts and likely other pet stores. Kaytee blocks are not recommended, as Kaytee is generally avoided. :)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
DFW_Rat_Luvr said:
mine didnt care for the blox at all and let me know by hiding them in the bedding, or pooping in the bowl where the blox were. I figure its like when my human kids didnt want to eat their veggies. Its good for them, so I keep encouraging it whether they like it or not lol.

What helped us, is that I started giving them treats after they ate some of the blox- I dont know if that is the best way to do it, but it has worked for us and now they eat more of them than they did. I guess they look at eating the blox as a trick since they get the treats for both....but at least they are eating them now and not hiding them or pooping on them lol
My boys hide their blocks... but they do it so it's stashed away from the others in the cage or 'strange rats' that might somehow appear.... :roll:

They love their blocks, though. I went with nutro/suebees for a while until I got more HT in and when I gave them the HT they attacked it and hid it everywhere.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
whenever I have a food strike going on.. the food is pulled & I only put in what I think they need until later in the day... no treats.

This happened a couple of times & now I'm not having an issue with not eating.

It is said that "typically" 1 rat will eat 3 blocks a day. So when I was having the food strike I would put in 2 blocks per rat in the am... check cage in the afternoon. If I didn't see any blocks I would add 2 more, if I found it stashed, I would return it to the dish. I would check again in the evening & return whatever I found to the dish & maybe add 1 more per rat & then give them a few treats/veggies/fruits by hand.

What was it that one comedian said about pets not eating their food... they get hungry enough they'll eat a peanut butter & jelly sandwich & thank you for it.

Typically we give in long before they will actually starve. Rats are smart... far smarter than most people give them credit for. They know that there's better grub to be had & they will attempt to hold out for it. Reduce them down to block only & only give a couple of treats by hand & things will get back on track.

As for the suggestion of getting a better block... I totally agree. The Harlan can be a pain to get since it isn't found in stores. Mazuri has a website & you can find local suppliers on that site. Hopefully you can find someone who will break open bags & sell it to you by the pound. I've been lucky on all counts. Just south of me I found someone who sells both brands by the pound but better yet, I know another person with several rats & we split a 50 pound bag as well as pick-up the Harlan Aspen bedding there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts