Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to get rid of the old bottle because it constantly leaked I've had this new bottle since Saturday and it doesn't look like Shea's used it and now I'm worried that the new baby LeeLoo won't use it if she doesn't see Squeak use it, is there anything I can do to get them to use it?

·
Registered
680 Posts
I've heard that putting a bit of sugar in the water will get them to drink. Maybe one bottle of sugar water will get them use to the new bottle and then you can go back to plain water.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put a little cherry juice in the water she licked the bottle 4 times then walked away

·
Registered
561 Posts
My rats all have bowls. I change the water daily, and I've never had problems with them not drinking or with spills (the bowls attach to the side of the cage). Plus, you don't have to listen to the sound the water bottles make, lol.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try that if needed but it seems LeeLoo has taught squeak how to use it for now haha

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I am glad that it seems they are drinking again but a word of caution: make sure to monitor their drinking for a little while. A rat that knows how to use the bottle, but is refusing to drink, may have underlying health issues that need to be addressed. I usually advise against bowls since they are the ultimate breeding ground for bacteria (many rats poop/urinate in their bowls as well which isn't very hygenic).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts