Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just feeling so overwhelmed right now and I just need to vent and would really appreciate some personal experience or words of advice or encouragement.

I have my four boys. One is aggressive towards the others so I have a neuter scheduled for next Monday in hopes of it helping. I have a two year old boy going in for a mass removal on Monday as well. My other two year old has been battling a myco flare up for I don't know how long. And just tonight I noticed that my sweet little Cheshire has a massive lump under his chin, and is losing rather than gaining weight.

I do everything I can for these boys. Even when I don't have money and they need meds I borrow from my parents and pay it off. I honestly feel like I'm failing because my entire mischeif is falling apart. I'm feeling lost, and you all are pretty much the only people that would remotely understand what I'm going through. Thank you in advance.

I apologize if this was meant to go in health. I personally felt it was more generalized.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I really get what you mean right now. I'm currently a student, I only work 16hrs/week, and I have 3 male rats, all 1.5yrs old. One of them has an abccess on his back leg, another has little bumps in 3 different spots (I don't even know what those are from), and last week, I just found what appears to be a tumor under the armpit of my third boy. I'm taking all 3 of them to the vet this weekend, but I'm already struggling to just pay for tuition and groceries, I really don't know how I'm going to pay for a triple threat vet visit. :/

Sorry, I know this probably wasn't very encouraging, but just know you're not alone in feeling overwhelmed and feeling like a bad rat parent. I never feel like I'm doing a good enough job for my boys. :( Just know that the fact that you care so much, shows that you're a better rat parent than many people who buy rats, through them in a cage, and forget about them. :/ Your boys love you, and I'm sure that they appreciate the care you're giving them.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both. I called my vet today and they helped out a lot too. It's sad but I just need to take a step back and take a deep breath and work things out the best I can. Thank you again. I was having a bit of a meltdown, and the responses were so much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
There will come a lot of times in your rat owning life when you just wonder what your doing wrong, everything will feel like its going wrong and your sure in some way it must be your fault. I've had this quite a few times over the years I've kept rats and its very tough, and often harder to get out of. Just know that your not alone and we have all either been there, or will go through it ourselves at some point. There is only so much you can do as an owner in terms of good husbandry etc, and sometimes you just get very unlucky.

By the way your chin lump boy is probably an abscess and would do well on amoxicillin, if you are based in the US you can get this online if it helps

·
Registered
346 Posts
I've never been so wrapped up in anything before I got my two princesses. If one acts any way different from what I'm used to, I have a little panic attack. If one climbs and falls (Endora) I lose it a little. I have been incredibly lucky so far to have happy and healthy babies but being on here and reading up prepares me for some things that may come my way. I've found an excellent vet who makes payment schedules and who specializes in exotic small animals, even lizards. I talk about them constantly and my friends and family humor me because they know these wee ones are my therapy. I don't pray, but I will think about you and give you high hopes. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
By the way your chin lump boy is probably an abscess and would do well on amoxicillin, if you are based in the US you can get this online if it helps
I figured it was probably that because it popped up pretty quick to be a tumor. I'm bringing him to the vet when I get the surgeries done on Monday. I'll mention that medicine to her. Thank you very much.
I don't pray, but I will think about you and give you high hopes. Keep us posted!
They all have become my world as well so thank you for the kind thoughts Verucasdad. I will post an update when its all solved.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts