Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Meet, Gadget, post her eye removal.

She ripped out some of her incisions, so now they gave her a cone.

She makes these really sad guinea pig/ puppy sounds. We take her out every day for play time, and remove the cone. We figure that with one of us watching, we can make sure she leaves the eye alone. We also bring out the other girls so that they can groom her and interact with her, cause we know they miss her and she misses them. My boyfriend is itching to put her back in with the other girls, and no cone, but I'm still worried that they eye hasn't healed enough. In the meantime, we're trying to give her all the love we can, but she's still so sad looking.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention, Raichu is trying to save her. If Raichu gets close and the cone is still on, she goes after the cone and tries to take it off for her. Raichu is also the only rat the Gadget really seems interested in playing with. Weird that I never noticed how close they were until now.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Oh, the heart strings!

I have to know, what's the story with this little one?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We got her several months ago, the previous owners didn't like her temperament (which the vet was surprised to hear, since she's so well behaved). We figured out that she was shy because she is partially blind. We fixed that by saying her name before touching her, not rearranging items in their cage too often, and just meeting her needs best we could. She likes to hide, so we put blankets in our laps or let her go inside a hoodie pocket. She's a very sweet rat, just needed a little extra love.

A few weeks ago, her eye ruptured and had to be removed. The vet said that she might have run into something (which makes sense since we know she has trouble seeing), or she could have scratched it. Regardless, a little over $300 later, she is now our little pirate. She was on pain meds and antibiotics, but because she took out some of the stitches, it's taking longer to heal. If she didn't have the cone, she would have had to go back in to have it resewn shut, which means anesthesia and more danger for her. She's safest in the cone, she's just miserable with it on. I'm hoping that maybe next week she can go back with the other girls.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The poor baby! I love her, she's super cute. I wish her a speedy recovery!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Awww! Poor sweet baby! I hope she is feeling better soon!

coneofshame.jpg

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Last night I kept hearing a sound like the wheel in the girls cage was squeaking, and then I realized that Gadget was curled up in a ball SOBBING. If you've never heard this, be super happy, it's enough to make you cry.

So I immediately put her in with the other girls. Instant happy rat. She has an appointment on Wednesday to get her eye looked at and might need more stitches, but the last thing I need is her health being negatively affected by depression. So as of now she's in with the other girls, and seems to be much happier.

It sucks when you need to separate the rats for their health. On one hand, you need them to get better, but on the other, they get so sad.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Poor baby! :( Hopefully nothing will mess it up with the other girls, but hearing a lonely rat would break my heart too!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts