Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think about giving a rat mealworms, beemoths ect? We bought some beemoths for our gecko to help fatten her tail up and she ate a few but picky thing she is won't touch them after being tricked into eating some dead ones. So, we have a bunch of beemoths in the fridge and so I tried giving one to my rattie, Trouble, one day and she absolutely loved it. Now, I have heard that they will eat crickets and so forth but I never tried it. She really likes the beemoths though. I know they are fattening *in essence why we got them for the gecko* and so feed them sparingly but I just wanted to know what you guys thought about it. Of course, I'd also heard that rats will kill mice because they are mortal enemies but I had a couple of rats living with a mouse once because I aquired a homeless pet mouse and nowhere but the rat cage to keep it in and they got along fine. lol

^.".^

·
Registered
88 Posts
that's a pretty cool story about the mouse, because I've heard they will usually kill a mouse on sight because rats are territorial. I think I read a post here before that said giving crickets is fine, or mealworms, it turned into a whole MORALS issue because crickets are living things or whatever but as far as health I'm sure it's fine. I personally wouldn't go catching wild crickets or something but lol store bought ones should be okay.. I think I might try it too.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Whoa, wait, you kept a mouse and rats together? That's an extremely terrible idea. You should never, EVER have different species housed together like that.

Mealworms and such are great to feed. Just don't feed too much (only a couple a week or so) since they're high in protein.

·
Registered
814 Posts
If the mouse and rat get along ok you don't have to seperate them, Saying not to house differen't species together is like saying i like dogs and cats but can only get a dog because i can't have a cat in the house too. Now if the dog attacks cats total diff story. My boyfriend has two dogs and a cat that live in the same house and sleep together at times.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Dogs and cats are different. They have a a huge area to roam in, and they're pretty much equal as far as predators go. Mice are MUCH smaller than rats and have no defense if a rat decided to attack it. I would never, EVER stick a dog and cat in a small, confined space.

Mice live with mice.
Rats live with rats.

From The American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association (AFRMA):

"Rats and mice, although looking very similar except for size, cannot be housed with each other or other species of rodents. Rats can learn to get along with other family pets such as dogs and cats, but care should be given when introducing them."

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As I said, I really didn't have a choice. At the time *and this was years ago* I didn't have money to go out and buy it a different cage. It was, quite literally, dumped on me. It had been originally intended to be snake food and the snake didn't want it. What else was I supposed to do let it go for my indoor/outdoor cats to get it or have it become a pest? I took my chances and I did watch the cage very carefully for any reactions. I don't know if it was because my rats were girls and had both been living with each other since they were small or what but they didn't take any heed of the mouse. They even let it sleep with them. I did what I could with what I had. The snake ate it a few days later.

Anyway, thanks for the answers on the worms. I only feed them as treats anyway but as I said, I hadn't thought about it before and wanted to see if anyone else did it or if most were like me and didn't really think about it.

Not exactly sure why it would turn into a moral issue. People need to get over it. Rats in the wild would eat the crickets and people would cheer because crickets are pests that eat plants people would rather have them not eat but a pet rat can't have a cricket because it's alive. I guess it's a good thing I don't feel that way or my poor gecko would starve to death because she won't eat stuff that's already dead unless I trick her and that lasts for a day or two before she won't even do that.

^.".^

·
Registered
814 Posts
Of course you wouldn't put a dog and cat in a small area. Rats and Mice are also both Prey animals like dogs & cats are both pred. She could put some little hiding places in there for the mouse. If she doesn't already have them. I think there are exceptions, i agree i don't put my mice and rats together because my naz killed a wild mouse once. So i don't risk it and i've never thought of it. However if they are getting along fine i don't see the HUGE problem. Also i know about AFRMA, and i'm not saying they are wrong, there can be exceptions. Yes they shouldn't be kept in tight spaces together. IF you have a big cage and hide places for the mouse and you have no other choice it's more or so ok. She said this was over a year ago anyways so why worry about it? You should have seperate cages but still, I believe i have made my point. I just wish we would stop attacking other members and start talking things out a lot better than we currently are.

·
Registered
212 Posts
She said the mouse got fed to the snake...so i guess there's no problem of it living with the rats any more.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Nazarath said:
I just wish we would stop attacking other members and start talking things out a lot better than we currently are.
I'm starting to think it's just the way people are reading what Night says. I haven't ever read it in a negative way, she's just concerned is all.

I certainly would jump up and give funny looks if I heard someone housing TWO rats and ONE mouse together. But that's me. ^_^

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Night said:
Mealworms and such are great to feed. Just don't feed too much (only a couple a week or so) since they're high in protein.
Really!? I wonder how my boys would react if I got them some, LOL. My boyfriend and I have a bearded dragon so we get her worms every once in a while. I guess I could get them some.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I just don't want newbies to read this thread and think mice and rats can live together, because they can't. Not only are their dietary needs different, but the fact that they're different species also comes into play.

JennieLove, I've thought about buying some crickets for my rats, but with my luck, the crickets would probably bounce out of the cage and then be lose in my room. Then I'd have that nice choir of crickets singing at night all around my room :p

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
i would think that the mice would be able to get out of the wires of the cage?? not only that but mice are not very social are they? i was thinking of getting some to keep on my desk to watch but not to play with and such

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
LoL. I know what you mean! We have a tank just for the crickets. At first I couldn't stand it! But now it accually helps me fall asleep. :p

·
Registered
814 Posts
The cherping sounds nice, i THINK we have them out back but it could also be our frogs. To be honest i have never thought of putting a mouse and rat together lol.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Most wire cages can be EASILY gotten out of by a determined mouse, even if the wire spacing is small. And you're right, Stephanie, mice are generally very uninterested in people and usually extremely skittish. My five mice, although I love them and enjoy watching their antics, hate being handled and touched.

Jennie, my first boyfriend had beardies, so he had crickets also. Although I enjoyed falling asleep listening to them, it was kind of weird waking up to a couple being in the bed :p

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Night said:
it was kind of weird waking up to a couple being in the bed :p
Weird? That's not the word I'd use... I would've screamed the house down! :lol: *shudders*

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Crickets I don't mind, it's spiders I dislike. Spiders, bees, and wasps scare the crap out of me. If a spider's in full view, I don't mind it and I either shoo it away or kill it. But bees and wasps? God, if they start hovering around me I get immensely paranoid. I never know whether to just sit there or bolt. Plus, here in Michigan we have black wasps that are HUGE (seriously about the size of my hand) that burrow in the ground. They have a nasty temperament and are extremely loud.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
OK, that's me never going to Michigan :lol: At least they are noisy, though, so you get some warning that they are around.

My biggest fear with creepy crawlies is having them squashed against my bare skin - so anything in the bed would freak me out to no end. Otherwise, I'm not scared of anything that has 4 legs or less, generally.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Omg Night, I'm afraid of stinging insects too. I HATE summer because of that.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Night said:
Most wire cages can be EASILY gotten out of by a determined mouse, even if the wire spacing is small.
This is the truth.

My house was completely infested with mice over the winter, and there was nothing we could really do but set traps (which broke my heart, there's a long story about me getting kicked out of one of my foster homes for arguing about mouse traps and inhumanity to mice). There were tons. It got to the point where they would wander into the room and simply sit down and scratch or groom right in front of me. Sure it's cute, but it's not something we could put up with. We had Doris' health to consider - any fleas, disease, or mites the mice were carrying could easily be contracted by her, and they were actually crawling up the stand of my bird cage and stealing seeds from my birds.

I decided one day enough was enough when I heard one in my closet, so I took Doris out of her cage and put her into the bath tub (she can't get out), and decided I would use the top of the cage to catch the mouse. I closed the closet door against the cage so that the only way out of the closet was into the cage, and banged on the wall. Out darted Manny (so what if I named him? :p ), straight into the cage. Well, it took him less than three seconds of scooting from one end to the other looking for a proper exit before he popped himself through the bars, ran over my toes, and made for the hills.

Rats and mice are really not the same.

For those people saying rats and mice are mortal enemies, well, that's what I've always assumed, but I'll tell you from personal experience that at least with my Doris, it's not the case. She was exploring one of my old computer towers (unplugged of course, and she is not a chewer), and I lifted it up and looked inside to have a peek at her. What I saw was Doris and a mouse wandering around inside in full view of each other, and oblivious to eachother. The mouse darted over Doris and away after it saw me, but there was definitely no fight to the death.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts