Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two boys who originally got along fantastically. After a while, though, one of them started getting really aggressive - I've gotten my fair share of bites from him from just having the scent of the other on me. I ended up having to separate them and now I'm worried about either of them going into depression. More so about the gentler boy, Beau. He's a lot more social than Musket, who I'm not sure is going to get along with any other rat with how territorial he seems to be.

Thing is, they're both about a year old, now. Is it too late to try introducing either of them to a new cagemate? I'm also working with Musket and trust training, but they both still puff up and hiss at each other if one gets too close to the other's cage - is there any hope for reintroducing them?

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you do introduce another put a little dab of vanilla on them so they smell the same and introduce them very easy and put there cages side by side but not to close that they can touch through the bars

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Your best bet is to introduce 2 baby boys to your better behaved boy. Between about 7 and 11 weeks is best for boys as they don't smell threatening yet. If musket is still fluffing up and being aggressive i would consider neutering him. This could help him calm down and then you could try introducing him to the other 3. Alternatively you could intro him to some girls. If you can't keep 2 groups you could also think of having both neutered and starting a mixed group with some girls, girls to neutered boys is generally very easy.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Also i would seriously not put 2 cages close together when you've got hormonal or dominant boys involved. This generally winds then up worse, smelling but not being able to get at the other boy to establish whose boss. It can help some girls settle but generally makes intros longer and more drawn out. i normally recommend the carrier method for most situations unless you've got a very territorial rat

1 - 4 of 4 Posts