Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I have to adult male rats (Max and Jewel) they are wonderful boys and they both get along great. I bought them together from the pet store almost a year ago and they were already fully grown adults. They have never been cuddly, they want to go and explore! But lately they just sleep and sleep. They are not even as active during night as they use to be. I know they are getting older so maybe I am just focused on that...I have always let them free roam during times which they can be supervised and the ferret boys are sleeping so they won't bother the rat boys. But now they both come out and wonder around for 20-30 minutes and they go back in their house and sleep. They have never done this before. Jewel has always been a bit shy and does not like to be held but Max would wonder and climb and play and come and say Hi to us. He doesn't do that much anymore. We have fans and air conditioning to keep it from being too hot. Their cage is in the living room so even when they can't come out and play they are around us and part of the family. They eat pellet food supplemented with veggies and fruit.

It is just so strange...They use to always be excited and eager to come out of their cage and now they don't much care and don't want to stay out long at all. We were planning to get more rats soon (the boys would get a cage upgrade and the new baby rats would get the boys old cage after it was cleaned throughly). But now I don't know. They get as much affection as they are willing to tolerate from us. lol and we get them new toys and chewy things periodically to keep things new. Cage is relatively clean and gets a big cleaning on schedule. Always fresh and clean water. I'm just worried about my old men. :(

·
Registered
20 Posts
I wouldn't be worried at all. My old guys are the same way and they just turned 2 in May. It's kind of like with people, when you're old, you just can't do the things you used to and are often much more sleepy. I would only be worried if they are acting lethargic, but it doesn't sound like they are :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reassurance. I guess to me it does seem like they are more lethargic but maybe not. They just fall asleep randomly on their shelf instead of their hammock or ball. It's like they can't be bothered. And when they use to get fed they would bounce around the cage and start hiding their food and taking it to each of their special corners. But now they leave half of it in the bowl. Even veggies and fruit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I understand. It can be strange seeing ratties age and not act like they used to. Maybe try mixing up the food you give them! One of my older guys prefers soft foods so I give him yogurt, banana, apple sauce, etc. in his fruit/veggie bowl and that seemed to help!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm. I can try to switch things up more often. I usually feed them pellet food everyday. And then every other day I supplement with yogurt, spinach, fruit, pieces of green pepper, occasionally a tiny bit of cheese.

·
Registered
953 Posts
If it's warmer weather where you are, even my youngsters are more likely to sleep out in the open. Pellets don't need to be fed in a bowl, hide them around in things so they have to go search out food. Especially yummy (things like sunflower or pumpkin seeds seem to entice most rats) treats can be made difficult to get to for exercise and mental stimulation. Hide in folded paper, hang from a high place so they have to climb for it, ect.

Easy things that may appeal-paper that they can shred and make a nest out of, cardboard boxes, cat grass (grow your own or buy from a pet store-I do all kinds of different sprouts easily at home for both them, the birds and humans) to dig in and eat. is there places in your cage that in their older years they are just not utilizing any more? That might be a good place to put the best of the best treats to encourage them to explore a bit.

The more mental and physical exercise you can get them to do the longer they will stay healthy, just like humans. Your boys are over a year and we consider them pretty old at 2 years. We can't really expect the same enthusiasm from old men that we got from youngsters, so just play with ideas that seem to appeal to your little men.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Mimsy. I took them out of their cage and let them free roam and got down on the floor with them and played and talked to them. They seemed to have more energy this time than the last few. Even my skittish boy Jewel who does not like being held or messed with came and sat with me and let me pick him up without fuss. I guess with them being close to 2 (if not 2 already) just has me paranoid about their behavior. I am still thinking of getting some youngsters soon and giving the boys our old ferret cage (we added to the business.lol)

And I like having a food bowl. They seem to enjoy hiding their food in their respective corners and stealing from each other. Haha! I do think I will make more of an effort to interact with them. i mean we always do but they were never too much into affection. They more wanted to play and explore with each other and Jewel would be a bit scared of us. So we really just let him be. They were sympathy buys from the pet store. They were adults and the employees were not really paying attention to them. But we do love our rat boys. They are silly and smart. Just sad they are getting older.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My two girls, who are both from the pet store, are doing the same thing. They are both around 2 years old and all they do is sleep. It's worrying me a bit. I'll try doing what you all have suggested above, but they don't seem to wanna get out and search for food or do anything special. I would also like some feedback if anyone could. Just message me. =/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts