Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I kinda worried because my rat, since about 2-3 weeks, he started losing facial hairs and he has weird stains on his legs, like blood but i'm not sure.

And also, since some months, one of his teeths is always growing SO fast. it's like we cut it at the beginning of the week and at the end of the week it's very long again!!! wtf!?

please help me!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Are you sure you're cutting them for the right reason? Rats' incisors seem extremely long if you look in their mouth, but that's normal. It's only with rats that have malocclusion that you have to cut them. And if your rat does have maloccluded incisors to the point where you're cutting them every week, it might be a good idea to look into having them surgically removed.

Considering blood and hair loss, I would think he has some sort of ectoparasite - possibly mites or lice. You should take him into the vet's office for a skin scraping to be sure.

Also, does he have a buddy or two? Rats need cagemates. :)

·
Registered
981 Posts
I can only speak on the teeth here. I have a rat with malocclusion, and I don't see how only one tooth would be growing longer. It happens when all the teeth aren't meeting properly, or in my rat's case, one pair of teeth has shifted so that only the top left meets with the bottom right. So I have two teeth growing too long.

Are your rats top teeth growing too long? They are a bit easier to tell because they curve more inward toward the rat's mouth.

I also had to look into removal, but unfortunately my vet has never performed it before and had serious concerns about putting my rat to sleep for any extended length of time. So I have to take her to the vet every 2 weeks to get them trimmed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies!

my rat has only 1 long tooth, (bottom right) and its long enough that it's near its eyes...

for the mates, it weird to say but my rat is playing a lot with my small dog, I let them free in a part of my house and they play together, really cute :)

I'll try to see a vet as soon as possible!

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh ****, today he has full blood of his legs, and some scratches on his face, he must be scraping himself a lot. that's surely the reason why he's losing so much hairs :S

What could I do???

·
Registered
981 Posts
Truthfully your rat just needs to see a vet. Is it possible that his nails are too long? Also is it possible that he has other teeth going into his lip causing the bleeding in his mouth (If one tooth is overgrowing, I'm sure there must be another that is too)? Is it possible he has lice or mites?

You'll really need a vet to check for these things.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cjshrader said:
Truthfully your rat just needs to see a vet. Is it possible that his nails are too long? Also is it possible that he has other teeth going into his lip causing the bleeding in his mouth (If one tooth is overgrowing, I'm sure there must be another that is too)? Is it possible he has lice or mites?

You'll really need a vet to check for these things.
I'm going to check his nails and his teeths. I didn't saw any lice or mites, is it on him? in his hairs? I'll check this out

Thanks!

·
Registered
393 Posts
You need to take the rat to an exotics vet as others have said. You also need to get him a male friend because rats are extremely social and your dog is not a substitute for another rat.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My rats had fleas once which was pretty easy to tell. Fleas leave a trail of "flea dust" which is like tiny black spots (kind of like pepper). Lice can be seen by the naked eye.

I'd consider the possibility that your rat may have mites, as far as the scratching goes (the tooth problem, I'm not so sure...). Mites are so tiny that they're usually detected by the vet doing a skin scrape and then examining it under a microscope. I'm only suggesting this because patches of hair loss and skin sores are common symptoms. If that's the case, it's treatable. But I would definitely take a trip to the vet before experimenting with powders and shampoos. Best of luck for you and your little one!

http://www.rmca.org/Articles/bugs.htm <--nifty link about mites, fleas, etc

·
Registered
261 Posts
burrow8 said:
its stresst out seens it has no cage mate.
i would see about getting another rat
First of all, you must notify your vet before it get to late. I think another cagemate would be a great idea. Just make sure they get along and keep us updated! :wink:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts