Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, Please help. I have 2 pet rats, Finn and Coco. Finn has not been well for a few days and I took him to the vets yesterday. He may have an ear infection or it may well be a pituitary tumour. He now has medication but I'm not sure if he will pull through. Last night I separated them as I did not want Finn trying to climb around the cage as he kept falling down. I kept Finn outside of the cage so he could run around he floor and Coco all cozy inside. When I woke up this morning I found Coco had died in his hammock. I'm really worried that this may be because I separated them?! Perhaps he got stressed and had a heart attack? Now I am unsure what to do with Finn as I know rats are social animals and don't do well by themselves. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Coco did not die because you separated them so please don't feel bad about your actions. If one rat has a bacterial infection they all do most likely and that's what killed him. I would keep treating finn and hope for the best. Do not buy any more rats while he is sick.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response! I don't really want to get any more rats because this is just too sad for me :( and if I do the cycle just starts over again. It was just so shocking for the 'well' rat Coco to have died through the night. I know they hide their illnesses well but he didn't have any of the same symptoms as Finn. I will just keep Finn company as much as is possible with TLC and keep making sure he is eating (he's only eating small amounts). The vet had said that if he doesn't improve in a few days to take him back. I am just worried that if he does pull through this illness he will not cope well as the only rattie :(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts