Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the weekend I thought Monkey had a pituitary tumour. She couldn't hold her food and has trouble climbing her cage. She still can. She was also a little lethargic. She had some dexamethasone injections on Sunday and Monday plus baytril orally.

She has picked up in terms of her lethargy but still can't hold food

Today I have noticed a small grape sized lump on her neck. Do you think this could be a cause of her symptoms or are they unrelated.

I'd ask my vet but they don't know much about rats. They are very happy to take advice.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
What was she being treated for? It could be a swollen gland from infection or an abscess if it popped up that quickly. If you have any infant's ibuprofen on hand, you can give her some which would bring down the inflammation in a swollen gland. If it doesn't go down with this, I'd say it's an abscess. As far as it causing the PT symptoms, I wouldn't think so since it came up after she started having the other symptoms. I'm not quite sure how PTs work, but if she does have one, it might be hindering her immune system from fighting infections.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Potentially depending on the location. I may not be right though but if it is near the back of her neck there isn't any reason it's not pushing on something. If it's at the front it's less likely.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She's on steroids (dexamethasone and soon to be on prednisolone) so I can't use anything like ibuprofen and metacam.
Would steroids work at reducing the swelling if it was her glands?

The location is on the side of her neck

I managed to get some cabergoline for her suspected pituitary tumour but I'm not sure if I should even try anymore??

1 - 4 of 4 Posts