Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm making some covers for the flooring in my ratlings' cage! I read a few guides on here and I'm doing my best to make them as good as possible, despite being a novice to sewing/raw owndership and doing it all by hand, haha.

But I saw someone mention that it's good to have something more 'absorbent' in them? I'm taking two layers of fleece and stitching them together ( and making it so theres no exposed stitches or anything! )

For the 'absorbency' I was thinking of cutting shamwows to size and slipping them inside, then either stitching them closed or making a clasp or something for the open side so the ratties are given at least a token of resistance against trying to shred it out... Because they are machine washable, so I could wash them when I was the covers.

Do you think this would work? Someone mentioned U-Haul pads or something? I'm really unsure of what will work best. I have a Martin's cage, if that matters? It's a 690 I believe, with two female ratties in it. I'm open to any suggestions as to what will work best! Or if it's not even needed at all....?

Also; how many sets of the floor coverings do you think I would need? I'm still unsure of how often they would need to be changed... I was thinking 3 to start with? They're just taking me a little while to get together...( Hand stitching... my lil index finger... ;_; )

·
Registered
153 Posts
I think a shamwow would work, I was thinking of buying something similar to try.

How many depends on how often you want to wash them, and how bad they get soiled. I change mine every other day, but that's me.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts