Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching this documentary last night on rats and they showed some wild rats hunting other small mammals and eating them while they were still alive! If their catch struggled too much they would even snatch its head and break its neck. I didn't even know rats were hunters like that...would domesticated rats still do the same if given the chance?

-MT :D

·
Registered
981 Posts
I loved you in Full House.

Truthfully I think they would. I've heard that rats do not get along with mice at all, and I could see them doing this. They can be predatory animals.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just read that rats, domesticated and wild, are omnivorous and hunt creatures that are smaller than them. Even though I think my rats are the sweetest things ever... They would probably eat small mice if I put it in their space.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yep, I have to agree with cjshrader - rats are omnivores, they just don't have a lot of access to other animals inside our homes.

I once saw a video of a squirrel eating a small mole, so rodents will eat mammals if they can/have to.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Yes.

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
They will kill and eat your birds, your mice, other small critters. lizards etc.
They are omnivores and its natural for them. Have you ever played with feather toys with your rat? They get homicidal...hehe

·
Registered
995 Posts
Aahh the feathers..... I have, or rather my mom has birds and I'll get a molted feather and tease them with it. I don't ever want to know what it would look like if they got there paws on a live bird... *Shivers*

Oh about 4-5 years ago I got a mouse and put it with my rats for about 3 days while I cleaned the other cage and on the 3rd day I went to get the mouse and all there was to get was the pelt, paws, tail and a few other things..... EEEEEEEWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
941 Posts
Baby rats with mice are fine but when there older is when you wanna worry...theres no point to keep them together anyways.

(I know this because we picked up some smalls from a feeder breeder...sorry..and we also asked for mice..he just threw them all in the same bin and nothing happened....sorry again.)

What do they do to feathers?
I might have to go tell my cockatiel to molt soon...lol...

·
Registered
995 Posts
They rip them to shreds!!!!

·
Registered
995 Posts
LOL :lol:

·
Registered
995 Posts
Yeah....

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I wouldnt use use ANY feather you find that came RIGHT off the bird. I would go get the more sanatary ones, like from pets stores, or art stores. You dont know if those fresh feathers were from a sick bird, or what they've touched. >.<

·
Registered
941 Posts
I have a cockatiel .a.k.a. a Bird. And he is Healthy, no signs of any diesease or sickness's.

Thats what I was talking about. Not a Random bird outside.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I'd probably freeze them overnight anyway... Hey, maybe they'll like cold feathers, it is hot out, after all. :lol:

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I think i'll pick some up from the store tomorrow :) and boy is it EVER hot out! My boyfriend took out the AC a week ago because it was cold

{{{regret}}}

·
Registered
981 Posts
I'm going to agree with Jennielove, birds can have all kinds a wacky diseases that may or may not be transmittable to rats. I wouldn't risk it. (Freezing sounds like a good idea, though I'm not sure if a day is long enough)

Plus, a cockatiel, or devil-bird as I like to call them, doesn't have very long feathers to start with. I don't see how interested the rats could be. I guess the tail feathers are ok?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts