Rat Forum banner

Would you put your rats in this?

• Total voters
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Would this cage work as a rat cage?? Its Overall Dimension: (20.87 x 30.12 x 64.21)

I would be adding shelves and fleece!! But would 3 rats be okay living in this? Like is it okay for them to climb around in?

If I got this I would add some bins, ropes, and shelves with fleece for something more to climb on (along with toys)
Screenshot 2020-04-27 at 02.38.38.png

·
Registered
132 Posts
Have to agree with CorbinDallas, a wooden cage they can just chew through... I know there's wire, but the door frames and such are wood, they can munch through that in a single evening and escape.

·
Registered
219 Posts
If you had a wooden cage what would you use for it to make it less chewable? Just wanted to know cause I wanted to build a cage out of a bookshelf.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Wood isn't the best material and if you make a cage out of wood, just don't expect it to last a long time.

For a bookshelf cage, I would suggest finding a bookshelf that is at least 15" deep and 30" wide. A lot of book shelves are really shallow and would barely allow enough room for your rats to turn around. The wider the unit, the better so your rats will have space to run.

I would remove the back of the bookshelf and have full mesh on both the front and back of the cage for better air circulation.

Any corner or edge of wood that your rats will be able to get their teeth around will get chewed so you'd want to design it so your rats only have access to flat surfaces. Attaching the hardware cloth to the insides of door frames, for example, would prevent them from being able to chew on the frames themselves. You might be able to figure out some sort of pipe or flange to protect the openings between the levels.

Protecting the wood from absorbing urine is step one, preventing the it from getting pee directly on it is a good second step. Using some sort of bedding that will absorb urine before it ever comes in contact with the cage itself will definitely help keep the cage usable for longer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts