Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got these at Dollar tree while I was buying little baskets to hang in the cage. I'm a soon to be new rat mom and I'm still setting things up in preparation for two three month old male ratties. I just want to make sure it's a safe thing to put in the cage and their heads won't get stuck in it or anything. I don't have a measuring device handy so I included my hand for scale, I would estimate the opening is about two inches give or take.
15926401365382019791838.jpg

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think that would be a fine toy for them. But, I recommend that if your rats grow too big to fit inside in the future, find them something else. When I first got my rats, I gave them old toilet paper rolls and they would run through them. When they got bigger, they would get stuck, so I gave them new toys.
Rats can also stretch to be tiny and fit through tiny openings, so I should be fine for now.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Also remember they will chew on plastic. What I did find at the dollar store that my rats love, are these coconut fiber planter liners. They love them .... they climb into them and muck around and scratch and chew on the fibers, or if the liners are flipped over, they will hide under them.

They can be hit or miss at the dollar store - but they're not hard to find. Amazon even has them in different sizing.

·
Registered
Rex, Penny, Sugar, Latte
917 Posts
Also remember they will chew on plastic. What I did find at the dollar store that my rats love, are these coconut fiber planter liners. They love them .... they climb into them and muck around and scratch and chew on the fibers, or if the liners are flipped over, they will hide under them.
Thanks for this idea, I never thought of it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts