Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I have an old wardrobe turned into a cage currently with guinea pigs in but we found out that guinea pigs cant be housed in cages like this so am getting them a new one but was wondering if with toys and more appropriate bedding etc this cage would be suitable for rats ? I have no idea about rats but if the cage would be okay I would start to research
Thank you

·
Registered
953 Posts
The size looks amazing but as it's currently constructed, I think air circulation is a bit of an issue. Rats have pretty crappy respiratory systems and are prone to respiratory problems. Ammonia from their own waste can be a killer for rats. It's very important that their enclosures provide enough ventilation so ammonia doesn't become stagnant within their cage.

To make this enclosure more appropriate, I would replace the solid doors with mesh doors and I would make the entire back of the cage wire mesh as well.

Rats pee and chew and pee and chew. Wood isn't the best material for a rat cage because it will absorb urine and rats can chew through it. DIY cages like this can be a great way to provide a lot of space for your rats but it might not last forever. Being that you already have it, there's no harm in using it (with modification) but you may find that a manufactured metal cage will become a necessity in the future.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello
I have an old wardrobe turned into a cage currently with guinea pigs in but we found out that guinea pigs cant be housed in cages like this so am getting them a new one but was wondering if with toys and more appropriate bedding etc this cage would be suitable for rats ? I have no idea about rats but if the cage would be okay I would start to research
Thank you View attachment 302517
I think that it could use a lot more toys, it looks very boring for a rat, the fun thing they would do is come out of the cage and sleep

1 - 4 of 4 Posts