Rat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my boys has a large wound on his back about the size of a dime from power grooming I assume since I haven't heard any angry squeals and he still sleeps with his brothers. His skin is just staying raw there and every time it begins to scab over, someone peels the scab off again. Any idea what I should do about this? I've put neosporin on it but they just licked it off. Let me know if there's anything I should/can do
Thanks
Emma

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I would definitely separate him into a carrier or another cage until it heals. Every time that they reopen his wound, there's a chance for infection not to mention increased tissue damage. If he can't reach it then separation should allow it to heal properly.

·
Registered
189 Posts
If you can't separate, get Blu-Kote. You can find it and feed stores and Tractor Supply. It's used for cows, horses, etc. and it covers a wound and is really helpful. I used it when one of my rats got bumblefoot, and it worked wonders. I recommend it to be in any ratty first aid kit. Just make sure it's dry before you put them down, it probably wouldn't be very good for them to lick it. I got the little spray bottle and unscrew the lid, swipe a Q-Tip on the tube, and apply to the rat. It does STAIN and stain badly. I used it on a white rat for a scab she had a few months and baths later, her fur was still green. It comes out a purple blue and then as it fades turns violet and then green.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. I'll probably end up separating him unless I can find the blue-kote. The rat in question is indeed white but I don't mind a colored rattie I just hate to seperate him especially since it's getting colder where I am.

·
Registered
425 Posts
If you do need to separate him then you can give him a rice bean bag to snuggle with. You just get a piece of cloth and make a little bag that you fill with rice and sew up the end. Then you can microwave it to heat it up.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did that once but they just ended up chewing it up. Granted that was with my last set of boys so I'll try again with my new babies :)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He keeps squirming and his fur keeps getting in the way but here's a photo. It's actually scabbed over a bit right now but I guarantee by the end of the day someone will have ripped it off again ImageUploadedByPG Free1412356724.883556.jpg The wound is just above his left shoulder blade

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you don't have access to anything else try putting salt water on it a couple times every day. We tried this with my brother's rat and the wound shrunk fast without ever getting infected. He ripped off the scab, but it grew back a lot smaller every time.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't think so because there hasn't been any pus. I think it's due to power grooming which I have hopefully put an end to with my recent application of Blu Kote ImageUploadedByPG Free1412525418.805147.jpg I have to say it should be called purple Kote xD

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've been applying the Blu Kote twice a day for 2 days now and even though it's supposed to taste nasty, they still keep grooming it off. Also, Link can reach the wound with his foot so he keeps scratching it open himself which leads me to believe that it won't improve if he's separated because he still won't leave it alone. Ugg. What to do now?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts