Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dominant rat keeps getting small spots form forced grooming, one on her back, another on her ear, the ear one is new and a little red, what should I do? I really don't want to separate despite of the fact that it IS the forced grooming and roughness that causes it, they squeak loudly when they play. It looks like a scratch, not very big, but 5 mm or something like that.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have any pics, but I don't think it is mites as she isn't itching allot more than usual, I see them force groom and play rough allot, every day, every night, but it doesn't seem like fighting. She is not squeaking nor at all irritated by it being touched, either. All the rats play rough and has had some teeny tiny scab somewhere sometime in their life, one is even at baby age. But it's not many, and they disapear after a while, too, so I think they play a bit too rough. Usually, if any scab at all, it is 2 mm or similar.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I wouldn't seperate for this, as it sounds like its accidental. You could maybe trim their nails, or place a lava ledge under their water bottle so that they have to climb onto it to drink. Lava ledges help wear down claws.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One thing regarding the mites, tough, it that I use hemp bedding, but I have no place in the freezer as it is a 20 kg block of hemp, what to do? Doesn't it get wet when I freeze it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts