Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was originally going to update this thread with this story, but felt it was a slightly different topic so I started a new thread. Mods, if this is too much feel free to delete / merge the two. :)

So, i was going to pick up the cage in the other thread for $40. Good deal, as it was supposedly in good condition. But it was nearly an hour from my house, and I was pretty busy on a Friday off of work. And I was going to have to modify it with wire mesh once I got it home and clean. My wife called me and suggested I look for something else closer to home. I was feeling stressed about leaving our baby rats in their "temporary" home for another week and felt like I needed to get a bigger cage today in order to give them some space to run and play. That's when I remembered that a friend of ours who we haven't seen in a long time also had 6 ratties and had offered to let us use/have her old cage. My wife suggested I give her a call.

When I called her - I hadn't talked to her or her husband in probably 2 years - she was super friendly and when I explained my story, she said "Do you want me to bring it by tonight?" (She lives about 40 minutes away) I offered to come get it, and to pay her for it, but she said no, we could just have it as she had upgraded to a Ferret Nation and the old one was just taking up space. She said she'd bring it by after she got off work. Wow, I was really thrilled. I still planned to give her some money for the cage, but she said it needed to be cleaned, so she couldn't charge us anything.

Fast forward to about 6:30 in the evening, and they show up with the cage, which needed a good cleaning, but was in excellent condition. They didn't accept any money for it, but agreed to accept some hammocks and tunnels that Phoenix makes for their big cage. So after about 90 minutes of intense cleaning in the garage, we now have this rat mansion for our four girls.

This is our oldest son, Fat Tony posing before we put the rats in. He was up 1 hour past bedtime at this point. :)

It's rat-party time! From left: Yuuki - on blue shelf, Scrappy - black capped, Hoodie - blue / grey capped, and Faye - PEW in food bowl.

At any rate, I thrilled. Our Martin's 695 was backordered, so we won't get it until late next week. When it comes in, this grey cage will come to work with me and be set up in my classroom. In perfect timing to start reading Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH!

The girls LOVE it too! They have so much room to run, climb, and play.

In short, they went from this:

to THIS:

We're so happy and grateful for these friends. :D

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Holy wow nice cage! And what an upgrade, those girls probably feel like they won the ratty lottery jackpot!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Nice!!! :) Rat people are awesome! We actually just had 2 BRAND NEW (shipped from Martin's) R695's donated to our rescue - you'll love it (the doors are MUCH bigger than they used to be and now it's a favorite cage of mine, I think!). (BTW, you might get it earlier! We got ours today, and they were ordered late last week!)

But that is NICE, and it'll be great for the classroom. Bet they're loving it!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
love the cage
Jess x

·
Registered
109 Posts
Wow, that cage is great... it looks like it's as big as a FN, but you wouldn't have to revamp it with wire mesh! It's amazing!

·
Registered
110 Posts
The girls were a lot of fun to watch in the tank but as soon as we put them in the big cage they became so much more animated! Fat Tony just watches them and cackles and our younger son is taking an interest in them now too. It makes the whole time and $$ investment worth it! And periodically throughout the day we found ourselves asking if maybe we couldn't get one more. lol

As for our friends, they are really great people and we are so thankfull for their kindness. If our only repayment is a years supply of hammocks, tunnels and fleecy-goodness we are coming out ahead of the game!

·
Registered
110 Posts
This cage is the same size as the Martins R-695 but it only has two shelves and no full middle floor. Now that we have this I'm even more anxious to get the Martin's cage (although after a couple days and no FedEx tracking number I started to think it was a sign that we should have gotten a FN instead :? )

As for Fat Tony; there was a time when he would get 'angry' when people would call him by other nicknames and respond with, "No! It's Fat Tony!" But now that he's getting out into the world he has softened to the idea of having more than one nickname. Most common is Tony Bologna.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts