Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was interested in looking into what it would take to have Freyja with me when I travel to DC in a month and what I found was ridiculous. It would literally end up costing me $500 to take her in an in-cabin carrier that goes under a seat and isn't in anyone's way whatsoever -_- $125 both ways plus $125 per 4 hour layover (of which I have 2) is utter insanity. I guess they'll do anything to make a buck. I sent an email asking if the price is the same or waived for ESAs...not that I have time to go through all of the process of having her registered. This trip is really important for me, but the more I think about leaving all of my babies at home, the more I just don't want to go :(

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Good lord that is ridiculous!

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'd be curious to hear what they say on ESA's, too. Most air lines in the USA don't even allow rats on board at all, so that's actually really awesome!

And yeah, $125 is standard price for flying a live animal. I for one never understood why, except their may be concerns about other passengers having allergies or something..?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Even if passengers have allergies, no amount of money is going to remedy that in flight lol so it's still ridiculous. I got an email back saying they couldn't answer my question (typical roundabout airline crap), so I'll have to call and find out. If I do start seeing a therapist, I will eventually have freyja registered as an ESA; she is my heart rat and makes everything at least bearable regardless of the kind of day I'm having. I feel bad that I can't say that about all of my babies, but freyja is just a really special little girl. I'll let you guys know what I find out about the flight after I call.

·
Registered
156 Posts
One of the legal benefits to an ESA is specifically air travel w/out additional fees. As far as the high fee for pets that aren't ESA, I don't think it's so much a money grab as much as it is a way to reduce the number of pets on the plane. I don't think a rat is really a problem, but say an airline permitted free travel for pets in general. I'd hate to be a passenger on a plane where every passenger had either a cat or dog in their lap - it'd be mighty disrupting. The high fee keeps that from happening, but isn't so high that if you were moving across the country or something you would be willing to pay it.

I do hope there's more reason to getting a pet certified an ESA other than just avoiding a fee for air travel.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They do have an in cabin limit for pets. And I really hope you're not assuming that I want to have her registered as an ESA just to get past the airline fees. I fly maybe once every five years, so that's definitely not the objective here.

·
Registered
952 Posts
One of the legal benefits to an ESA is specifically air travel w/out additional fees. As far as the high fee for pets that aren't ESA, I don't think it's so much a money grab as much as it is a way to reduce the number of pets on the plane. I don't think a rat is really a problem, but say an airline permitted free travel for pets in general. I'd hate to be a passenger on a plane where every passenger had either a cat or dog in their lap - it'd be mighty disrupting. The high fee keeps that from happening, but isn't so high that if you were moving across the country or something you would be willing to pay it.I do hope there's more reason to getting a pet certified an ESA other than just avoiding a fee for air travel.
animals need to be kept under the seas in a crate. Even then there is a limit as kk said. And its kind of silly that you would think kk would spend alot of money on a therapists (severaal sessions are needed) just get her rat registered to avoid fees

·
Registered
156 Posts
animals need to be kept under the seas in a crate. Even then there is a limit as kk said. And its kind of silly that you would think kk would spend alot of money on a therapists (severaal sessions are needed) just get her rat registered to avoid fees
I wasn't assuming one way or the other, though I saw it being possible one way or the other. No harm meant, but I do think it's an important point to make. If someone else searches forum for high cost of pet travel and finds the thread it wouldn't be ideal if they assumed ESA is done to avoid the fee rather than some other reason.

And there's a lot of less ethical places you can get a pet certified ESA without any sessions with a therapist. Easy enough to find some place that'll certify it for a small fee without even talking to you. Very similar to getting a medical marijuana card.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I would not want to bring any of my rats onto the flight simply because I would think my lot would find it distressing. I suppose it depends on individual personalities but my boys love their cage and generally dislike their carrier. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wasn't assuming one way or the other, though I saw it being possible one way or the other. No harm meant, but I do think it's an important point to make. If someone else searches forum for high cost of pet travel and finds the thread it wouldn't be ideal if they assumed ESA is done to avoid the fee rather than some other reason.

And there's a lot of less ethical places you can get a pet certified ESA without any sessions with a therapist. Easy enough to find some place that'll certify it for a small fee without even talking to you. Very similar to getting a medical marijuana card.
I had not considered that side of it since I wouldn't do that >.< I'm sure people would find a way regardless. And that's probably why it's not stated on the airline site that ESAs do not incur the same fee. However, I think it is still important for people to know that needing an ESA for whatever reason will not inhibit their ability to travel. It seems like there are some very vague laws applied to the topic that people either misconstrue or do not fully understand on both the part of people needing ESAs and institutes attempting to accommodate them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts