Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my name is Lexi and as I put I'm located in California, and I have just gotten back into Rats. Ive had rats before in the past but before that I used to breed Hamsters and I realized how unloving hamsters were, but I did manage to have two males that I just LOVED, but besides that I ended up stopping and letting my last hamsters live out the rest of their lives in paradise and thinking of ways I could convince my mom that perhaps a rat would a better choice of a pet.

It took some time and I had to earn the privilege, but it was well worth it. I got my first rat, Trixie, about, hmm, four years ago, from Petsmart and I fell in love. I couldn't help but think later on about another lady to keep my rattie happy. Craigslist was my next target and I found a breeder who had a litter ready for adoption of Dumbo rats, I then got Dumbledora who was very shy and always fallowed Trixie around. I loved those large ears.

Two years after I rescued three males from a classroom at a school I was about to graduate from, the poor boys. They were large and placed in a care too small, the kids were poking them, throwing stuff in their cage, I found a pencil and a pen cap in the cage fluff. I felt sorry for the boys and offered the teacher to take them who willingly wanted them gone.

First night one of the boys bit me, left a scar and scared me. I avoided him. The smallest of the three died three days later, I have no idea why. The two then became bitter and I dont know if it was from poor care or male hormones, because I still had my ladies in another cage on the other side of the room. I had them for another year and sadly the sweeter or the two I believe had a tumor that had ripped open, which caused him to have a huge hole on his stomach the size of a penny, and the one that bit me, became very ill. I took them both to the vet and he suggested that I put them both down.

The two girls them passed away from old age and I just seemed to stop with the rats. I cleaned their cages and put them away for safe keeping. My room has been very lonely since they left and a couple weeks ago I decided how much I missed my ratties and have started to plan on putting together a Grotto big enough for five rats, but I think ill only be getting three lovely ladies.

I have had several bad things happen and good things happen with rodents. I had gotten a hamster from Petco that later I found out had wet tail and had to be put to sleep. I refuse to purchase another animal from there since. I have also on the good side, every rat, mainly the females, have been finger lickers. I don't think finger licking though can over come a sick animal. :\

So, while I build this grotto, which I am currently looking for a cabinet to start making it from, I have a few questions.

1. If I buy three young female rats from different places, is it ok to put them together in a cage, after at least having them on my bed or something to meet each other or how should I go about doing this? Im trying to go with diversity in color for the ratties, but everywhere I go has the same group of colors. How would I go about this; having different ladies meet each other?

2. Whats a good kind of litter to use for a rat litter box, I wanna try and train em, maybe it would help with clean up when it came to cleaning the cage.

3. Do you know of any breeders near the bay area, SF, ect ect?

Sorry about writing my whole story from toe to tail, just thought I would go out there. :]

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
1. Most people will suggest if getting rats from separate locations to quarantine them in separate airspace, as you don't know what they carry. If that's not possible I would at the least assume the worst, that being they won't get along right away and may have to live separately.

2. I use Yesterday's News Cat Litter. It works well. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forensic said:
1. Most people will suggest if getting rats from separate locations to quarantine them in separate airspace, as you don't know what they carry. If that's not possible I would at the least assume the worst, that being they won't get along right away and may have to live separately.
I can of course quarantine, so maybe you suggest just try and get all three from a little, like sisters?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Babies usually get along, but I don't know. You could certainly try three different litters.

Breeders will often enough variety in their litters that you could ask for three different color/markings, if you'd like.

Most pet stores usually have pink eyed whites and black hoodies I find.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Hello Brain and welcome! If you can get different colors....it would be easiest to get ratties from the same litter!

you wouldn't have to worry about quarantine or introductions! Maybe you could start with two from the same litter, and introduce a new rat down the line!

it just seems like it would be a bit much to get three different ratties from three different litters!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MopyDream44 said:
It just seems like it would be a bit much to get three different ratties from three different litters!
Oh how I would love it if they all came from the same litter, so they all know each other. I still am working on the Grotto, so I have time to look and get in touch with a breeder.

I'm so anxious. I miss having ratties. :]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello!

Try Rattie Ratz Rat Rescue which is Bay Area based. Here's the link:
http://www.rattieratz.com/

They almost always have litters. They also have sisters or brothers that are bonded and would prefer to be adopted together. You can avoid the quarantine this way. Rattie Ratz also has a variety (dumbo, rex, assorted colors, etc.) that need homes.

Good Luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts