Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our poor little girl just isn't herself anymore. And I'm not quite sure what happened to her, as she isn't that old. We got her when she was still a "preteen" in the Spring. So its only been 6-7 months and 3 days ago I found her with scabs on her neck, which wasn't too uncommon. Her and her sisters have gotten into scraps before and we generally let them resolve it. And no one comes out with more than a scratch, but then 3 days ago I heard a lot of tussling, and a loud squeal. I went and investigated, and all three had scattered to opposite sides and levels of their cage. Yolandi at the time seemed fine, no blood, no marks. 2 days ago, I find her missing a patch of hair on her neck with a scab, and now she flinches and pushes away when I touch the side of her face. Even literally hisses in pain, and now she just moves very slowly. She's lost weight, still eats and drinks water. But she's very cautious, not the active, loving, licking rat me and my girlfriend know. We moved her to her own cage to keep her away from her sisters and to keep from falling off the ramps in the main cage. And we think she was suffering from depression from being seperated from her pack. Today she seems a little more in tune with the world, she still moves slowly, wobbles about, doesn't seem in as much pain. But I'm just prepared to find her stiff without any warning at this point. :(

·
Registered
425 Posts
Could the cut have become infected? You should probably take her to the vet to see whats wrong if you haven't already...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sadly I think we were a little too late. She passed away this afternoon around 2:30pm. We just buried her in the local forest preserve near a nice view of the lake. ):

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm sorry you lost Yolandi.I'm not sure if you were indeed too late or there were just too few symptoms.My rat has had a weird scab and I don't know where he got it from and he's fine.And my other rat has gotten to a point he wasn't even moving and was able to bounce back without any problems.Sometimes something that looks very bad can actually be benign while something that doesn't look too threatening can take an unexpected turn for the worse, as with humans.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That sort of was our case. She was so lively, even when she looked sick she was still herself. She suffered from a tumor on her neck as a young ratling that had burst and was left wide open in the middle of the night. We had thought we were going to lose her then. But with the use of hydrogen peroxide and antiseptic gel the gaping wound right on her throat closed up and healed perfectly. She grew hair back in that spot and everything. But even when she had this ugly hole in her throat, she was unmoved by it. So for her to suddenly just take a nose dive and keep declining really threw us for a loop. We're both just glad we could be there for her, and did our best to keep her comfortable in her final hours. She passed knowing she was loved and it was ok for her to go. ):

1 - 8 of 8 Posts