Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically i'm going to tread finely on a few psts iv read here! I've just joined today as i need advice and i think i may have found it (namely introductions). But firstly i would like to ask how large the average rat is when fully grown, and therefore how to estimate the age of rat.

I have had a lone dumbo rat for around 3/4 months. She was the last in the pet shop (i live in the uk by the way!) and i couldnt resist her(Knowing many pets in this country that arent sold end up dead) so i bought her and planned to get another to join her along the line.

Now i have had the new rat(not a dumbo) in quarantine for three weeks as advised by the breeders i got the new one from and she seems absolutely fine. So, i have started the introduction phase but am wondering if some rats are too young yo add to older rats cages?

My older rat seems to be big enough to cause damage if she so pleased and she's been getting a bit antsy having my newer rat in the cage next to her.

Basically i want to know if i go through the intro stage extra slow maybe they can get used to each other as my new rat gets a bit bigger and more capable of handling herself?

I apologise for the mammoth post but another question i have is- is it ok to feed my rats vegetables (fresh) as well as dried food?
I have been feeding my dumbo celery, carrots, lettuce, broccoli stalks, cabbage, cauliflower, mashed potato and other vegetables and as a treat nuts since iv had her and she seems really really healthy!

I make sure theres dried food in the cage at all times and give her veg once a day!

Thanks so much guys sorry to make you read so much!!!
Jay :D

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Rats vary in size - although you can find 'average' sizes posted around, I've found that it'll depend very much on the individual rat as to how big it'll be. However, to help out - most of my boys (now fully grown) are 350-500g, however my girls (also full grown) yo-yo between 230g and 450g.

Intro's can be tried quite young - infact I believe I've read that the younger the rat you are introducing, the smoother the intro may go. You'll probably find that your resident rat will (if everything goes well) treat the baby gentler than you expect - because she'll realise that he's a baby and needs to be careful.

It's reccommended that you add frest fruit and veggies to ratties diets, so you're doing the right thing :) Nuts can be quite high in fat though

Hope this helped

·
Registered
259 Posts
yeah i kinda have the same situation... like i have a boy dumbo [last in the store] and would it be ok to get him a baby brother? and what steps should i take with caution?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Is her antsiness the sidling and poofed fur or is her fur not poofed when she gets antsy? Does she do angry chittering or is she generally quiet when she is 'antsy' towards the other rat.

If she is displaying poofed fur, the intro process may take some time. But you really don't know until you try. What you need to do is get some vanilla extract and rub it near her genitals and on the back of her neck (and the young rats too) then put them both in the bathtub with a towel and spray bottle handy. Then LOOOM for around 15 minutes. Wrestling is alright but if you see that poofed fur and the angry chittering seperate immediately. If you don't see any of those signs, just maybe some dominance grooming then leave them be for the 15. Anything you think is aggressive though seperate and start again the next day. Keep this up and elongate as things are going well. Keep their cages close to one another. Swap their cages so they can get used to living with the other rats scent without living with the rat. When things are going well you can try to thoroughly clean a cage or have a new cage and put them in it together while watching closely. Try short periods for a little while then elongate. You will know when it's time for them to live together :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts