Rat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[I would love to hear stories of your first rat!]

Ok, mine was a normal, black and white hooded rat, her name was Trixie, of course. When I first got her, I was obsessed! I took her everywhere even to the park and let her run in the grass, and I would also take her to my grandmas. It was her idea to get a rat because she used to breed hamsters back back in the day when they first started to become a pet, like the whole trend thing was getting a hamster.

ANYWAY.

She had an old lab named Sugar Bear who was VERY old and just loved my rats. She would sleep and my rat would climb all over her and her dog would fallow me around so I put my rat on her back and she would ride Bear around while she fallowed me.

It was adorable! I wish I had taken pictures!
It is my main memory of her, I loved her, so active.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
My first rat was also my first rebelion. I had mice and hamsters at the time, and knew that I had wanted a rat for aaaaages but my mum simply refused to let me get one. I took matters into my own hand one day - walked an hour to the pet-shop and bought Kain.

Even on the walk home I stopped at a shop to get us some water, and he sat on my lap and drank water out of the cap! That was him all over. Always cuddly, always happy to be around you whenever he was out. Mum flipped when I bought him home- but soon fell under his spell.

I loved Kain to bits. It was such a shame when he got bladder crystals. After that, he was never the same. Although he lived until 2, a lot of his last months were spent back and forth to the vets. The poor baby.

Kain was the first 'rat encounter' for my whole family - and I'm sure he made a big impact. After all, I now have 15! XD

EDIT:

On the subject of dogs, my golden retr. Fudge has always been amazing with my rats. She made a special bond with one of my rats, Aiden. They always used to box and scrabble around playing together. It was really sweet to see.

The night Aiden died, he was walking around on the floor (he could barely walk, but dragged himself around) and the first thing he did after being put on the floor was crawl over to Fudge and lie there with her. Fudge really mothered him, they were like this for maybe two hours. I've never seen anything like it

·
Registered
527 Posts
well, my first rats are the one i have currently.
vegas was the first rat i ever held, and she was so sweet, i immediately knew i was making the right decision in getting rats as pets. and it's a good thing that vegas was so calm...my mom would have walked me right out of the store if she had made any attempt to escape/bite me. :roll:

i really want to get a third rat (from a breeder this time around) but i have some problems regarding that (i.e my mother, yet again!) so i'll just have to wait and see. ;]

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
My first rats were soo long ago...

I got rats because my parents said we could have a pet, but we weren't ready for a dog yet. Cats didn't count, apparently... I wanted mice, and the petstore guy said rats are better (I owe that guy a lot!). They were Zippity (tan hooded) and Ellie, short for Elephant (grey berk. I was like, 7, and none too original I'm afraid).

Sadly, it turned out that Zippity was a boy, and Ellie was a girl. So a friend of mine took Ellie (who gave birth a little while later. Which made me sooo mad, because believe me, if I'd known she was pregnant, I would have kept her!), and I got a grey hooded named Zappity (again with the being 7 thing). And it just sort of snowballed from there. One rat would die, and I'd get the survivor a friend until I was almost off for college! And I still remember each one's name.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
mine were ozzy and hyper, the boy version

it was a couple days before my 12th b-day, my birthday present (cage, litter etc) was sitting in my room when i went up there and i almost fainted. i called around to see which pet stores had them, most of them didnt come out of QT until saturday, so we went to a store in the mall. there were about 20 boys AND girls in a 10 gallon. the boy that caught my eye was a champagne 5 week old, my sister liked a black and white agouti hooded. the guy giving them to us didnt communicate with us, just picked them up MID-TAIL and threw them in a box.

we got them home, they had diarea and bugs and my parents had spent $300 to take my dog to the vet that day so didnt want to go again, so we braught them back the next morning, went to a different store and baught the 2 furry pwecious watty baby loves i have now : )

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
the very first rat i had was Pocket. i got her from a girl at school that had an "accidental" litter... (long story, not getting into it.

she and a few of her siblings (all given out to people at school) ended up being mini-students for a while too. in one of my classes a teacher caught another student with her baby rat. well instead of the kid just taking the scolding alone he dragged me and another student into it too when he announced that he wasn't the only one with a rat in the class. well the teacher made us show him. i went on about how adorable and well behaved pocket was and he sighed... took another breath... pinched his nose then told us not to let him know that they're in the class again. we didn't. i'm not sure if the others brought their rats back but i did ever day since i got her in april til i graduated that june.

pocket LOVED pockets when she was a baby. she grew out of it when she got older but when she was young and i was taking her to school i made her a little pouch that i wore around my neck. it was in this pouch that she went to subway with me and a friend of mine after exams while we were waiting for the bus. the employee never knew. mostly because pocket had decided to have a nap when i was ordering... but i saved some food for her and so did my friend and it was so cute watching her turn over, the tail disappear then her head appear and grab that food.

when i got pocket i didn't know ANYTHING about rats. and she taught me a lot. probably one of the most important things was a rat's need for another rat companion. when i was going to school i had pocket with me for at least 8 hours a day. but once i graduated i had a needy baby to take all my time and energy. i wasn't able to spend nearly as much time with her anymore and one day she just stopped eating. not even her favorite bananas. nothing. well i did a bit of research then and asked around and learned that a rat can get depressed and even try to commit suicide. she wasn't ramming herself against the cage but she was effectively starving herself to death. i imediately went out and got Lyiint. when i put her in the cage with pocket, pocket sniffed her, groomed her a bit then camped out by the food dish and gorged. she was happy ever since.

but i think my favorite story i have with her is when she and lyiint met my cat (kitten at the time) Sesshoumaru. i didn't know sessho was under the bed when i got them out to play on the bed. but when he jumped up i figured i might as well teach him to leave them alone. so after some nose flicks he decided that leaving hsi paws on the bed and his mouth shut was a great idea. lyiint was nervous at first but pocket never feared him.

anyway, they had been out for a while and they were all getting sleepy. sessho was already stretched out on his belly when lyiint decided the best place to nap would be in that big foofy tail. sessho only looked back to see what she was doing when she was build the foof into a nice comfy blanket around herself.

sessho and lyiint had begun to dose off when pocket decided that the best place for her nap would be right between the shoulder blades of the cat. well she crawled up there and the only reaction from sessho was a slight opening of one eye. then she started to dig and the spot between the shoulder blades being sessho's favorite place to be scratched he started to purr. everyone was starting to dose now and the purrs were getting further adn farther in between.

all of that would have been great and oh so adorable had it not been for pocket's habit of pulling the blanket over her whenever she went to sleep... sure enough, she reached behind her and tried to pull sessho's fur over her...

WELL! suddenly sessho is one his feet all splayed out with saucer eyes, a screaming irrate pocket has materialized on my shoulder and the only thing keeping sessho's tail from standing straight up was lyiint dangling from it for dear life...

it was so hard not to just laugh and to actually disentangle lyiint from sessho's tail before his brain caught up and he would run off...

but pocket started it all 4 years ago and i will never not have a rat in my life now. they're too special.

·
Registered
532 Posts
my first rattie was a really pretty Himalayan female named Isabella.
my sister had a boy rat (neutered) named Justin, he was a black self/Irish with white paws. they were such good little buddies :D we used to let them swim in the tub and they got free run of our rec room since it was rat-proofed.

i haven't been able to find a Himalayan since :(

·
Registered
500 Posts
Aww, blue, I had a similar "first rat" experience and wasn't able to find one like him...until recently, by accident. I think the Himalayans and Siamese are absolutely beautiful.

When I got my first rat, Eddie (Vedder), I was in 8th grade and had found him at a pet store. That was 11 years ago. He was a feeder, a beautiful siamese with ruby eyes. He was huge, probably about 6 months old, and completely antisocial. He had clearly had no human contact and bit me (drawing blood) about 5 times before he was tame. Being a stubborn kid, I didn't want to give up on him, and I'm so glad I didn't...

I basically took him everywhere with me and played with him nonstop until he bonded with me, and when he did, he got very attached. I would be washing dishes and see him hop up the hall, check in, then hop off to explore...if I didn't secure his cage really well at night, he would sneak out and I would wake up with him under my arm...

As he got older, he just wanted to lay on/around me, so most of my time spent studying for school included Eddie lying on my chest, asleep.

He lived until my junior year of high school (3 1/2 years after I got him), at which point he seemed to have had a stroke. He lost his vision and the use of his back legs. He bit at anyone who reached in his cage except me (strangely, he seemed to know my smell and never bit at me). It all happened very quickly, and one day a couple days after the stroke, I was holding him and considering having him put to sleep, and he looked up at me, sighed, and passed away. I swear, he was like a faithful dog and had the capacity for love that a dog has.

Here is a very blurry pic of Eddie, the only one I have:

Here is one of Matoska, a fat, grumpy siamese female that I found on accident a few weeks ago:

·
Registered
532 Posts
ahh i wish i could find a Himalayan/Siamese...

the lady i got Panda and Scout from doesn't have any, and neither do the pet stores. i'm considering asking PetsMart if they will special order one, but i would be concerned about its health/temperament if i went that route.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My first rat was a beautiful white girl named Wheezie. She had big black eyes and a little blue spot behind her left ear. She was a really sweetie that LOVED to be held. She died on my mom's birthday four years ago. (happy birthday, mom) :?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Blue, I got Scout (the mom of my recent litter) from PetSmart and found her temperment and health to be way superior to that of other petstores...I got her from PetSmart because they didn't use pine or cedar bedding, the cage size was much bigger than other chain and privately owned stores, because the rats were much, much more tame, because PetSmart breeding facilities are USDA approved, and because they only keep one sex of rat in the store to prevent accidental breeding (one store keeps males while another keeps females). Recently when I was trying to find a siamese, I checked with a PetSmart and they told me they would be happy to hold one for me if they got one, but that they breed for temperment, not color (which is actually reassuring). So I would say PetSmart would definitely be worth a try. I'm just not sure if they are USDA approved nationwide, so I would check into that. Otherwise, go for it and call a few and tell them what you're looking for.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I got my first rat from my mother as a gift for my 6th birthday. His name was Whiskers(lol of course). He was just a plain white male rat. And he wa such a sweety. And every since then I have always had a rat. Now that I think about it I feel bad that he was all alone. But at the time I really didnt know their supposed to have buddies. But since he was my onlypet he got loads of love and treats(he was a very squishy boy) so I think he was pretty happy. He died at age 2. I walked in and kissed to him to wake him up but he didnt move. So I opened his cage and picked him up. Thats when I realized he was dead. I cried so much. But the memories of him always make me smile. How whenever I walked in the room his head would pop up and he'd run to the cage door.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I got my first rattie about 10 years ago. Her name was Reba, and she was a rescued feeder rat. She was no more then 5-6 weeks old when I got her, she was just this adorable little ball of black and white fluff. She was the sweetest rat ever, I used to take her everywhere with me, she loved car rides. I was so devastated when she died at a 1 ½ years old. My four girlies now are the first rats I’ve had since she passed.

These are the only pictures I have of her. She was simply the best!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
My first two rats were Soot and Snow, hairless/double rex boys. They came from Petsmart in Miami (where we were living at the time).

Sadly, Soot didn't live past a year, and Snow left us at about 2. I miss them.

Soot

Snow

·
Registered
13 Posts
my first rat was called margo
she was a white rat with red eyes and like you i used to take her everywere. even to the shops i had to hide her under my jumper in case i got kicked out hehe

·
Registered
520 Posts
Mine was an accident.

She was an "employee" in a terrible local pet store ... They would allow feeder females to become pregnant, and nurse all of the "feeder pinkies." These mothers were doomed to nursing as long as they're little bodies could take it until they died in the cage.

This particular "Momma" (<--As the pet store employees referred to them) had been there, nursing, for over 6 months straight.

I was there walking around (mostly in horror, unfortunately) when I walked into an argument between two employees about this "Momma" rat. I am nosier than I should be and invited myself into their conversation.

She had "dried up" and could no longer "work", so the store policy is to "sell her cheap" as a feeder. (This store has a section labeled "feeders" and is not nearly as politically correct as some of the big chains.) The employees were arguing over what to do with her. She had been there so long, they had all bonded with her.

I ended up buying her for $2.50.

She only lived another four months, but she was fabulous. The squishiest rat I have ever seen, and sweet to everyone.

·
Registered
120 Posts
my first rats were shena and gabrealla, i got them when i was about 7 they were so pretty both black hoodedes and sisters but my mum decided that because the cat keep knowing over there cage and scearing them half to death we had to give them ayay =( , but im glad we had them because it was thinking bout them that made me want my girls i i have now

1 - 17 of 17 Posts