Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what is your opinion on people who have rats of known HEALTHY lineage and breed them? Just a question. Just curious about all your answers.

I've just noticed alot of "hating" toward people who have bred their rats. Just to clarify, I am definitely not talking about anyone who intentionally has bred their PET STORE rats. I'm talking about people who know their rats backrounds for generations.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think as long as the demand is in need, it is ok to breed rats of PROVEN lineage. When I say proven lineage, I mean rats that have come from an established breeder that the breeder stated is breeding material. That is the only case. Now if rats are not in demand and you dont have a waiting list, there is no point to breed because you have no homes for the rats. the woman I got my rats from was running a rattery that had just started, but she had a mentor who had ran an ESTABLISHED rattery for several years. She got a breeding pair from the breeder and bred her first litter only when she had started a waiting list. Also, she had the money and resources to keep any babies that werent adopted, so everything went fine, the babies got adopted, and she plans on breeding again in the future.

·
Registered
798 Posts
There is a BIGGGGG difference between backyard breeders and responsible breeders. I'm dealing with a backyard hairless breeder right now who is absolutely ignorant to rats needs yet she breeds them, THAT is what I'm against, that and people who claim to have 50 accidental litters.. I'm sorry, but I'm not stupid, I catch on quickly enough lol.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! :D

I really appreciate your input. I'm just curious cos breeding interests me. I'm not planning on breeding anytime soon though. I'm only going to be getting my first pair of males next month. I wanna go to shows and talk to more established breeders first.

I used to own hamsters and I even showed one but I never bred because I never felt all that much of attachment in return from them. They would come around if I had food but other than that they were off doing their own thing.
I dunno I was just curious. I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to get flamed the instant I put out there that I have an interest in breeding.
But believe me when I say it would be next year at the very soonest, probably later if all goes well with my first pair. If I can imagine my house full of rats after a few months with my first boys then I might consider it more seriously.. but right now I'm just tossing the idea around.

Sorry if this is a bit.... jumbled. My mind is kind of scattered today. :)

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I just wanted to add that I don't think anyone should breed......professional, responsible, or amature if there is a local rescue or shelter that has ratties waiting to be adopted.

People won't adopt from a rescue when they can get a "cute" or "cool" marking from a breeder, and that leaves many animals without a proper home!

I think if you want to breed and do it right you should find any rescues located near you and only breed when no other animals are available for adoption.

I also feel if people really want ratties it shouldn't matter too much what color they are!

this is only my opinion though :)

On a side note:
I've seen several new members say they were afraid of getting flamed (in one way or another) that makes me sad.......I don't think anyone should be afriad to post because of backlash..........I still think most of the members are very kind/helpful people, so in the very least don't be afraid to post because I think everyone is capable of adult conversations............btw the proper adult age is 12 so no excuses ;)

ok i'm tired and rambling

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
when i first joined i noticed a lot people getting flamed, not only newbies who had never had rats before, and i'm sorry to say it's just as bad as it was. i warned a few newbies after myself about it and i actually got a personal message saying "hey don't spread it around that we flame newbies because we don't". pretty sure that was the rudest thing to ever happen to me. all i ever said was "hey change your bedding real quick before someone goes into a 3-page rant about proper rat care", etc. i think there are a lot of members here who have little to no tolerance, honestly.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I am fine with those who mentor under *established* breeders who hopefully are members in good standing with rat clubs. This means learning for a good year or more, and finding out all the information you'd need to know. Then, purchasing a breeding pair from the mentor breeder.

I akin breeders who don't do this to backyard breeders. There isn't a large difference, really. Anyone *can* breed rats. However, there are so many domestic rats out there already homeless. Why add to the population if you won't be *enhancing* the fancy?

Just my opinion. I love this page from one of my favorite rat sites, as it pretty much follows what I believe:
http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/information/breeding/index.php?chapter=deciding

I also think ANYONE who's even considering breeding should read this page as well:
http://www.curiosityrats.com/infobreed.html

I'd encourage anyone who's interested in breeding down the line to foster pregnant moms and litters for a local rescue or shelter, to see what having babies and raising them is like. It's not all fun and games - I can tell you that from LOTS of experience!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
i think there are a lot of members here who have little to no tolerance, honestly.
hmmm...I'm not sure I've seen a member jump on anyone right off the bat about anything. To me it seems like people gather information before they bring out the "heat." I think what happens more often is one of two things get members really upset, and in turn, they become jaded. I think it's more likely that a member will be "flamed" for something small when it's "the last straw." It's times like that we can all step back and cool down but there are people who are infuriating and should be lectured. I dunno........... thinks are bound to heat up when you have so many passionate people on one forum but........

1. "Nothing great in the world has ever been accomplished without passion"
2. It keeps things interesting and people on their toes
3. It's only the internet! :)

I'd encourage anyone who's interested in breeding down the line to foster pregnant moms and litters for a local rescue or shelter, to see what having babies and raising them is like. It's not all fun and games - I can tell you that from LOTS of experience!
I think that is a wise use of a persons time. :)

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
When someone is doing something wrong and say 5 people try to tell them what should be done, all of a sudden we are targeted as the ones who are "flaming" and being "rude". What are we suppose to say? "No, heres what you are suppose to do, but you dont have to do it if you dont want to..." It just doesnt make sense. Yes, people on here do get fed-up-with, but for good reason. So many people here DO NOT want to listen to the more experianced rat owners and they go from forum to forum asking the same **** questions and becuase they dont get the answer THEY want to hear, they say we are the ones who are wrong? Or there are the people who are constantly told what they are doing wrong, in hopes they would change whats wrong, and becuase they never did anythign about the situation, they end up with a sick rat that should be taken to a vet...which never happends becuase "they have no money"....There are very good reasons to be anrgy with some people here, and its never EVER caused for no reason at all...

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
....There are very good reasons to be anrgy with some people here, and its never EVER caused for no reason at all...
that's what I was trying to say. Like I said, I've never seen a person ask a question and have a ton of people yell at them without getting the facts first. Mostly I've seen difference of opinion where two people feel very strongly about their side; however, those have usually concluded in a mature way adopting the agree to disagree route.

I caught a few threads when a person was yelled at but I know if I go back and read them every member was helpful and polite at first until the person does things like forum hop, ignore advice, and any number of infuriating things that I've seen people do. The funny thing is I don't think i'd notice a double post myself because there are so many members, so it's nice to know people are looking out for irresponsible owners............

I do feel, on one hand if a person joins it shows responsibility because I know there are plenty of owners who just buy rats, believe what they are told at a pet store, and have a good 1 year run with their "pets."

but, on the other hand, what is the point of joing a forum if a person is unwilling to take advise!!!

soooooooo anyhoo if I was misunderstood (it was very tired and unfocused last night when I typed it) I DON'T believe people have been "flamed" wrongfully, and if they have I have no doubt apologies were made and all was right with the world again. I think if it appears that a member has no tolerance they were just having a bad day from a pile of ignorance served on a chipped platter, rather several. I DON'T think any of the frequently posting members have little to no tolerance, they seem kind and helpful, and often times willing to hold their tongue, so a rat gets helped!!

I know this is getting long but I would like to add this

If you are willing to admit you're wrong when you make a mistake, and you are willing to take advice because you are a responsible and loving care giver for your animal then you have NOTHING to fear. We are all hear to share our love of ratties and help and educate new members. I personally would like to return the favor because I have benefitted tremendously from joining this forum :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Breeding is a big responsibility. If you dont mind me asking, how old are you? I know I considered breeding, but there is so much you have to put into it. I would really rather foster. But to breed it could take many years...buuutt if you do want to start a rattery, find a mentor. Here, Ill give you some that you can contact about mentoring.

http://rattery.homestead.com/
Bellarattas Nest
---> Bella is really nice and informative and has mentored people before and is mentoring people now

http://www.pxrats.com/
Phoenix Gate Rattery
--->Im not sure if she mentors, but you could ask her about it.

Make sure you do tons of research, get a mentor, and foster.

EDIT:::

Also, this is a very good topic about breeding on another forum im on. I suggest you at least skim over all of it!

http://floridarat.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2276

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
savveth said:
Breeding is a big responsibility. If you dont mind me asking, how old are you? I know I considered breeding, but there is so much you have to put into it. I would really rather foster. But to breed it could take many years...buuutt if you do want to start a rattery, find a mentor. Here, Ill give you some that you can contact about mentoring.

http://rattery.homestead.com/
Bellarattas Nest
---> Bella is really nice and informative and has mentored people before and is mentoring people now

http://www.pxrats.com/
Phoenix Gate Rattery
--->Im not sure if she mentors, but you could ask her about it.

Make sure you do tons of research, get a mentor, and foster.

EDIT:::

Also, this is a very good topic about breeding on another forum im on. I suggest you at least skim over all of it!

http://floridarat.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2276
Thank you for the info. Where is Bella located? I'm 20 and live in Central California. Oh, and I've already contacted a lady in a city near me that runs a rescue and I've volunteered to foster for her. :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh sorry I just looked at Bella's website and saw that she's in Florida? I think?
Lol.

Well is that too far to mentor me? Its not like we could ever speak in person. I dunno, just a question.

·
Registered
64 Posts
hmmm. you would have to email her and ask. Im not too sure about the mentoring business. I suggest trying to find someone closer to you i guess, because you will eventually get a breeding pair from your mentor, and floridas a looooooonnnnnngggggg way away from cali, lol.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I'm glad you're volunteering at a rescue first. :) There is a HUGE overpopulation of rats in CA, as you may be aware... There seems to be a hoarding case once a year or more that yields hundreds of rats. I'm not actually sure off the top of my head if there are any established breeders. I could ramble off rescues in CA, but that doesn't help. ;)

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Kimmiekins said:
I'm glad you're volunteering at a rescue first. :) There is a HUGE overpopulation of rats in CA, as you may be aware... There seems to be a hoarding case once a year or more that yields hundreds of rats. I'm not actually sure off the top of my head if there are any established breeders. I could ramble off rescues in CA, but that doesn't help. ;)
There are a few good breeders in my area but as far as the rescues go there are more in need of foster homes. As far as the hoarder situation there is a really sad one ging on right now that Northstar rescue is helping. If these rats don't get a foster home they will be put down.

Here is a link to the hoarding case that NorthStar is dealing with right now.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
You defintally hear more about the rescues than the breeders, Stephanie. And for good reason!

Oh geez, I hadn't heard about the latest one. :( I sure wish we were closer to help, but a rattie train from San Jose to Cincinnati would be horrid (I know, because I've bused there and back a few times!).

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Stephanie said:
Out of curiosity what rescue are you looking to volunteer for?
I found her on petfinder.org. She seems to be just starting because she only has a pair of rats and a pair of cavys.

http://west.petfinder.com/shelters/CA841.html

I'm supposed to be meeting with her sometime next week to discuss me fostering.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts