Rat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I went to see Zeus and Hades, neither of them were sneezy. I brought them home, and had paper bedding. Zeus was very very sneezy! I changed to aspen bedding, which is what they had in the cage at the breeder's. The sneezing almost stopped. For a while they were both sneezing, earlier. Now only Zeus is sneezing! I'm working on cleaning and dusting, but I'm not sure what to do for Zeus! There is no discharge around his eyes or nose, nor is it on Hades. Both are eating and drinking just like normal, also enjoying apples and carrots for a snack earlier.

What is the next step to help him? Could the original paper bedding still be irritating him, even though I cleaned the cage before putting the aspen bedding in? Or should I do a round of antibiotics for both to be on the safe side?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
(I did read the thread about this, I just want some extra opinions!)

·
Registered
555 Posts
If it's the frat few days that you have the rats then that's okay. After 3-4 days if they're still sneezing then I would take them to a vet for a checkup and to get some Baytril or doxycycline.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If they are newly brought home, sneezing is normal as they acclimate to a new environment. You might try using fleece instead of typical small animal bedding sold at pet stores. When I switched to fleece, I noticed less sneezes in my guys. I just line all levels in fleece and use clips where necessary to keep them in place. I also cut up small ratty-size 'blankets' out of the fleece and place them in their hammocks as well as on the different levels for the ratties to do whatever they like with them. I always have a shoebox with a hole cut in the top filled with fleece 'blankets' for the ratties' warmth and to cuddle with.

If they keep sneezing after 3-5 days or are showing any other symptoms such as labored breathing, wheezing, coughing, sneezing with any wet spray coming out (i.e. you can feel wet spray on your skin if they sneeze on you), definitely get them to a vet. If given antibiotics, they should be given for a minimum of 2 weeks, preferably longer--be sure to read up on all of that before going to the vet as many vets only prescribe for 10 days, which is not sufficient. Good luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the boys are still sneezing, Zeus more than Hades. I called our vet yesterday and discussed the issue with him. The vet said that because Zeus was having issues with the paper bedding, it could take a week for that to get out of his system. It's been 4 (or five?) days now, and he is still sneezing. The vet said that as long as I don't see any discharge or changes in his breathing or activity/eating levels, that I shouldn't worry too much. The boys are still playing, eating, and drinking normally and Zeus has had no discharge or change in his breathing. If he is still sneezing mid-week, the vet told me I should bring him in for a general check-up.

Thanks for the advice! <3

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had the same problem with my rat! I adopted two little girls two weeks ago, and one of them was pretty sneezy. I thought it was just the new home sneezes, but two weeks later the rat is still sneezing. Although the sneezing hasn't gone away, it's definitely gotten better and she doesn't do it too often now except for when she's excited or exploring. I took her into the vet today and she checked out totally normal and healthy....her heart, lungs, ears, nose, everything was totally fine. She acts completely normal and her cage mates have no symptoms. The vet said not to worry about the sneezing too much - she may just have an allergy, or a quirky habit, or something super super minor. She said that as long as the sneezy rat and her cage mates aren't exhibiting any other symptoms, to not worry about it. Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I figure it's probably allergies. His brother Hades also sneezes, though not nearly as often. They sneeze more if the fan is on. Otherwise they act perfectly normal. I'm spring cleaning, so maybe I'm just kicking up dust? Hopefully it wont turn into anything serious.

Thank you! I feel better knowing someone else had the same issue.

·
Registered
555 Posts
If you think it's an allergy, you can give a dosage of children's Benadryl to them every 12 hours for a few days and see if it helps. I normally give 1cc but I'd check and make sure you do the proper dosage for your rat. It does help sometimes. It did for my girls at least.

You can give it to them by getting a yummy flavour (alcohol & dye free!) like bubblegum or cherry and mix it in with mushed up banana and just let each one lick their dosage off the spoon

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you think it's an allergy, you can give a dosage of children's Benadryl to them every 12 hours for a few days and see if it helps. I normally give 1cc but I'd check and make sure you do the proper dosage for your rat. It does help sometimes. It did for my girls at least.

You can give it to them by getting a yummy flavour (alcohol & dye free!) like bubblegum or cherry and mix it in with mushed up banana and just let each one lick their dosage off the spoon
I just got home from the vet's office with Hades. I noticed red discharge around his little nosie, and his sneezes were accompanied by loud squeaks. He didn't act like he felt well. The vet thinks they have a secondary infection, on top of ratty allergies. I'm going to do the antibiotics for both and see how they're doing. I'm also doing a heavy duty cleaning and dusting of the house to limit allergies as best as I can. If allergies become a problem, the vet suggested allergy shots for them. Right now, I'm cleaning all the fleece in their cage, and next week I'll be getting a litter box to help limit the urine on the fleece.

Thank you everyone ​for all the advice and support. Zeus, Hades, and I appreciate it so much!

·
Registered
555 Posts
I'm glad you figured out what it is at least!

I'm not sure what you use to clean fleece but when my girl Aurora was extra sneezy, I hand washed the fleece. I would rinse it with super hot water then wash it with baby shampoo then rinse and then let it soak in a bath full of hot water and a cup of vinegar for about 15 mins and airdry them or toss them in a dryer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I'm not sure what you use to clean fleece but when my girl Aurora was extra sneezy, I hand washed the fleece. I would rinse it with super hot water then wash it with baby shampoo then rinse and then let it soak in a bath full of hot water and a cup of vinegar for about 15 mins and airdry them or toss them in a dryer.
I washed their bedding in dawn and very hot water. I'm also letting them airdry. I have two sets of fleece for their cage to alternate. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I'm super sorry I haven't update this at all but Zeus made a full recovery. No more sneezies! However, Hades became very very ill, and nearly died a few days ago. I had to get help from GofundMe to get the funds to get him hospitalized and treated. They FINALLY prescribed me Clavamox and Hades is gaining weight and is looking so much better. He went in to see the vet yesterday.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts