Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Have a Zoo Zone so there is no wire to attach shelves, and suggestions for climbing ideas?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Picture?

What about rocks or those logs that are used for terrariums? I'm sure there is some way that you could rig up ladders and such too.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Wow. I don't believe they make those large enough to fit rats.

Please do consider another home, for many reasons. Zoo Zones are plastic, not much ventilation(it's just like having an aquarium), and your rats may get bored and chew through it. Not to mention they're expensive, look into a Martin's Cage.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
this cage is *barely* big enough for ONE rat. you can enter cage dimensions into a "rat calculator" (stickied on the forums) to find out how many rats will fit into a certain size cage. the fancy rats calculator that i use says 1 rat (generally, 2 square feet per rat) but even then, the cage should probably be at least 4 inches taller (nothing smaller than 12" any dimension). also, that cage has almost no ventilation which is bad for a species that genetically has breathing trouble.

more importantly, rats are *much* happier if you get them a friend and everyone here will encourage you to do so many, many times. rats need at least 1 hour recommended (everyone here will say more) out-of-the-cage time daily, but more if it is an only rat.

what do you mean "stuck" using that cage? see if you can take it back if you have already bought/ordered it, or see if you can put a wire cage between the litter pan and the clear top? good luck with that, but no one here will be terribly happy to hear that you are stuck with that cage... :(

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
O_O THAT little plastic tuperware thing is $100 O_O

Yeah new cage, ASAP! That has so many things counting against it. It's too short, it has horrible ventilation, and it's TINNYYY! Gah you're better off making something out of a tote then using that cage. Not to mention rats do better in same sex pairs and can get horribly depressed without another rat for company :(

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put it in the calculator and it says 2 rats
The cage is 3 feet by 1.5 feet and 1.25 feet high

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
That doesn't change the ventilation issue. :(

·
Registered
520 Posts
Are you crafty? You could build one...

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
We have those cages in the rescue for babies and birthing moms. The ventialtion isn't great but if you are cleaning it out really well every day It shouldn't be horrible. The thing I don't like about them is there are no levels, no good way to hang hammokcs either. Not much fun for a ratty. I was debeating buying a RUUD from Martins cages but I figured I would just build one so now I am making the plans and getting the materials together.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
It would best for the ratties to upgrade to a better cage a.s.a.p.

but if you're stuck with that one then you can go out and buy a few of these

Just get creative, and go into a target or k-mart of something. Have a look around and you'll find plenty of kitchen/bathroom stuff that would be good for ratties, and the best part is they are usually powder coated!!!! :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't have a target here so I will try walmart or zellers, but I am hoping to get a new cage soon when I have the money
My boyfriend gets mad cause I soend all my money on her and he spends all his money on me :I Not good

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
LoL try the dollar store too there might be something very similar but for alot less money. I hit the dollar store and the thrift stores all the time!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
They also make stackable shelves that you can put fabric in as little bed areas... Try the dollar store or Walmart. :)

·
Registered
520 Posts
I buy more rat stuff from Walmart and JoAnne's Crafts than pet stores by a long shot... :-D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ugh, what a terrible cage. Now that I've seen a picture I recognize them. Like everyone else here suggests, it's time to find a better cage or get creative. That is not a suitable cage at all. I just wanted to put out here also that before considering ANY pet, you must be able to provide for it financially: cages, food, beedding, toys, etc. If you cannot afford to get a proper home for the ratties, then you should wait until you can.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts